World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, visited rost this summer and thought id put up a report.

We had met a few guys in bodo airport who were travelling back to england who had been to rost the previous week and they had some sick catches so expectations were high. Fishing was good when the weather cleared but unfortunatley the weather only cleared a few times. The wind was around 14m/s the first day we arrived but the seas looked ok so we fished for halibut without any luck so as we were south of the island we decided to try a few marks for some cod a coalies but was a total waste of time and fuel as the drift was way too fast and we only managed to catch 5 coalies which were bait size so we headed back in. The wind dropped the next day so we steamed to the south side once again and the wind had dropped but the seas were huge, there was a 20-30 foot swell!! the boats ride the waves very well and so it wasnt really a problem. Got pleny of cod around the 30lb mark and some good haddock to 14lb. The wind picked up again and so we decided to head back in. The next day we would headed north of the island but this was not till the early morning as the wind was very strong most of the day and night. The best fishing by far was on the north side. The first day on the north side we fished for cod and got them to 55lb, 51lb and 48lb but we didnt come for the cod as we had good cod the year before we came for the coalies. We fished hard for the rest of the week for these fish but the biggest we got was only 24lb which was still a monster but not the 30lbers we had hoped for. The fish seemed to fight so much more that the fish further north, even the smaller cod around 15lb took line. Despite being dissapointed with the weather we will def go back, thougherly enjoyed the week and once again learnt quite abit along the way. The manager was a great guy who wnet out of his way to be helpful.
Here are a few pics.
JT

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hi m8

I'm one of the welsh lads who kept waking you up.:bangin::bangin::bangin:

Maybe one of you should take a watch next time.

You lads deserved some good fish as I know you put in some serious hours looking for them.

Think we were just unlucky that the weather wasn't that great,
mind you Dennis said there was a mayor storm forecast for the Monday after we left.

Do you know if the 2 parties from Sweden and Finland turned up?

They were supposed to be on the Sunday ferry that we left on.
but there was no sign of them when we left port?

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi there im off to rost 19th june 2011. ive been talking to steve(anyfishsupermix) which i believe you met at the ferry. is there any info you could pass on which might be of help when i visit? did you take a drouge to slow you drift down ? cheers

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
hi there im off to rost 19th june 2011. ive been talking to steve(anyfishsupermix) which i believe you met at the ferry. is there any info you could pass on which might be of help when i visit? did you take a drouge to slow you drift down ? cheers
We didn't take one but i would next time, as sometimes the speed of the drift spoilt the fishing.

Take some light gear for the Coalie fishing.

Sidewinder eels fished the best for the Coalies, I had all mine on a rhubarb & custard.

On the non fishing side. take as much food with you a

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We didn't take one but i would next time, as sometimes the speed of the drift spoilt the fishing.

Take some light gear for the Coalie fishing.

Sidewinder eels fished the best for the Coalies, I had all mine on a rhubarb & custard.

On the non fishing side, take as much food with you a can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi carl, sorry for the late reply havent been on here for a while. Thanks for waking us up like, ye there were a few groups turned up the day we were leaving. Will be going back to rost in 2012 but now booked up for torsvag for next year. The drift did spoil the fishing but it wasnt to bad. A must is Flotation suits, we hired them there and they kept us warm and dry for hours. Shads were the best method and everything you need can be bought in the camp shop at a cheaper price than over here and some better colours too. Wish we had known that before we went as we would have saved money and been able to take more food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts