World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

threee of us are off to Rost in 2 weeks. Any good marks would be appreciated.

Do we really need to use 400+gm jigs pirks ect if we are using 20lb braid. I gather the water is relatively shallow - up to 60m, so the tide must wallop through - or does it ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Try sending a Pm to "anyfishsupermix" he was out there a few weeks ago and has been really helpful with advice about next year.

If he sees this thread no doubt he will reply anyway.

Personally I think you will get all the info you need from Kristian and the other guides out there.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hi.

threee of us are off to Rost in 2 weeks. Any good marks would be appreciated.

Do we really need to use 400+gm jigs pirks ect if we are using 20lb braid. I gather the water is relatively shallow - up to 60m, so the tide must wallop through - or does it ?

Many thanks
As Morf said the guides up there are very helpful,if you use one they will
take you to the fish,or if like us you like the challenge of going by yourself the plotters have some of the best marks on them.The best spot for coalies is up north,the average weight was around 15lb as you run to the end of the drift there were some nice cod(up to 35lb).The cod were on all the outside reefs,we just tried everyone we came across till we found the larger fish(we had them to just over 50lb).
Halibut can turn up anywhere,we had 3 on deadbaits & 3 on jigs.
Tacklewise we fished light except when deadbaiting.My rod was a TENRYU BULLDOG spins 20g to 90g, jigs 20g to 200g.My reel was a ZEBCO RHINO ST-TI 830 fixed spool loaded with 25lb braid.This set up handled countless coalfish & cod to 30 plus.My halibut rod was ABU TIGER 30lb class with a OKUMA MAGNETIX 30LS.We did not use pirks all week,our coalie fishing was done using jigheads between 20g & 50g (occasionally down to 14g)they were mostly used with a variety of shad & eel tails.The coalies can hit very shallow(even had a couple take on the surface next to the boat!).Cod fishing was done in a similar
way we just upped our jighead weight to between 50g & 150g.
Most of our fishing was done in depths between 10m & 50m there are deeper areas up to 500ft not to far away,but thats not fishing to me.
There is a lot of tide on the coalfish heads,but so long as the boat is moving at the same speed as the tide there is no need to use heavy weights,its only if you have wind drift as well that you have to up your weight.If the wind gets too strong, do the same as us & go plaice fishing in one of the bays.For that we drifted with beads or sonic spoons baited with coalie strip or anchored up & used prawns.
If this is not enough help i'm afraid you'll just have to send me my fare,
i'm sure i've recovered enough to manage another week up there(ha ha)
Good luck to all that go to Rost:fishing:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Tides is only one factor I say, since it´s located out in the open, wind can be a factor with you ending up drifting too fast then all extra wieght on the jigs are appriciated.
Since you mainly fish from drifting boat, if you´re going to fish by yourself I recommend that you bring some drifting anchar (nyloncoated foldable soft cone) and a heavy rollable dogleash to slow down your drift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whats up Doc? :bicycle: I think we may be there at the same time !!! Sounds like the pirks might have been a red herring! but as weve got em I gonna use them! :fishing:

Great advice there anyfish, many thanks.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts