World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a wee holiday to Rothesay in the middle of may sorted and im gonna take spinning gear and the beachcaster anyone fished the area? Looking for a heads up on a mark or 2. Herd what id call a load of pee about 5lb plus pollock bein caught on the south of the island where im stayin so I think I need more reliable info. As always all info is appreciated.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Only ever fished of the pier. There was no need to go anywere else and my bigest fish believe it or not was a 5lb saith lol many years ago. nowadays I would head towards the Colintraive area of the island you will pick up pollock there on jellyworms ect.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could try the Kilchattan Bay area {search on google} there is a bit of a stone pier which you should be ok fishing from it's sandy beaches round that side...other than that there is very little round the south of the island in terms of a road so you might have to do a bit of walking to access the shore...good luck

·
Registered
125 Posts
if you go clockwise direction from rsay 3 miles about there is rocky area , but cut of at high tide in summer got sea trout there must be other species about now tight lines

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thakns for the info as always. I put up a reply last night but it didn't appear on the site? Was just saying under the circumstances of the holiday I wont be able to travel to far but wer living on the south of the island. Thers a wee beach and a rock finger running out on the left hand side anyone try that area? Cheers lads.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Never fished the area,is the beach ur talking about called glencallum bay?Ive been past there on a boat,think it would be quite a trek,never herd of anyone fishing there. If you dont have much luck in the sea you could always try the lochs for trout,loch fad has some big pike aswel!
Tight lines!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry folks im wrong its not the south as I was led to believe its the west directly across from the little island. The beach is in a small bay and ther is a rocky point called the (point) on google earth. Is that more familiar?

·
Registered
125 Posts
yes m8 3 miles out of town clockwise plus or minus rocky area ,, one rock cut of from shore at high tide fav spot of mine ,some years ago tho,, good for sea trouut summer and pollock it seems you have good info room to bed down also if needed hope you get on well fresh bait is a good idea.. ballantine ,,south of rothsay ,, 3 miles away

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats good to hear. On google it looks pretty good since wer 5 mins walk from the cabin wer gonna camp on the small beach 1 night so I'll try ther at night and the rocks through the day see how it goes hopefully it holds a few pollock by mid may.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry folks im wrong its not the south as I was led to believe its the west directly across from the little island. The beach is in a small bay and ther is a rocky point called the (point) on google earth. Is that more familiar?
Right first of all you said that your going to be on the west side of the island here then that means your looking out at the island of Inchmarnock and that is not even close to any of the areas mentioned in this thread...it's a fairly remote area round that side it looks out onto the western Kyles of Bute....weather wise wind and tides can be a bit wild....I know exactly the beach and rocky point you've mentioned....if you ask you will get plenty advice from the folks in the cabin or anyone around the little village hall....if you can stop at the tackle shop opposite the ferry terminal one of the guys in there will help you.......there really is only 1 road round the island the A844 and it starts and ends at Port Bannatyne which is towards the northern end of Bute just 2 miles from the town centre you could also try the pier there at the marina....that roads a bit of a bugger to drive on so be careful and good luck....

As an extra there was a couple of fools fishing at the ferry terminal earlier on today....they both had said they caught a couple of small fish but weren't certain if it was pollock or codling....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much appreciated for the advice. I was shown the wrong spot on a map and when I googled the cabin it was in a totally different place. Ooops. Well ill get a couple of days fishing on this mark over that week and hopefully have a decent report to post. Thanks again lads. Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts