World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which clip is the best to use over the rough ground ?I'm using a upside down gemini at the moment it works fine just think I'm losin more rigs because of having the clip,thinking of going over to the foam pin method do you guys think this will work a little bit better plus the lead will be more secure during the cast :fishing:

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Always found the 'Jim Dobie' rig to be ok....get a hook, old used ones will do, cut off at the bend and bend the shank to make a small V shaped bend. Tie the rig body to the eye of the V hook and also tie your lighter rotten bottom through this eye. Tie the other end of the rotten bottom line either to the eye of the lead, depending on its size or to an 'o' ring attached to the lead. Before casting hang the lead on the 'v' shaped hook and Bobs yer uncle. when it hits the bottom the lead/o ring drops off the vhook and your fishing. Suggested lines are 25lb mainline, 60lb leader and 15-18lb for the rotten bottom.

This rig is explained in jim's video on rock fishing.

ps. to make the rig as expendable as possible jim attaches his hook snoods with a blood loop rather than crimps etc.

Which clip is the best to use over the rough ground ?I'm using a upside down gemini at the moment it works fine just think I'm losin more rigs because of having the clip,thinking of going over to the foam pin method do you guys think this will work a little bit better plus the lead will be more secure during the cast :fishing:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I tend to use gemini breakaway clips for rotten bottoms on my good rigs.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
pin + foam just copy that rig i gave you james """" for the very rough stuff """"

for pendulum or a bigger cast will show you the joker clip

or pm dinoboy he has a good and simple but affective rig the way he does the clip on the lead

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Attached a couple of pics....seems to work for me.

i've tippexed the v hook to make it easier to see....

PS. Gemini clips didn't exist when this was first used!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Foam and pin every time. Much easier and cheaper to make. You can use a double loop for the bait clip. Then you won't have to buy bait clips. Or run out of them. The only bits needed is hooks, crimp and leader line. You can make up 50 rigs really quick. Then you don't worry about loosing them.

Si

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
i'd rather stick pins (and foam) in my eyes than use this method......sorry Si couldn't resist that!

Cheers

Foam and pin every time. Much easier and cheaper to make. You can use a double loop for the bait clip. Then you won't have to buy bait clips. Or run out of them. The only bits needed is hooks, crimp and leader line. You can make up 50 rigs really quick. Then you don't worry about loosing them.

Si

·
Registered
978 Posts
Why not use the "rotten bottom" clips that are available rather than modifying clips, hooks and using foam & pins?

Are they inefective or too expensive?

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Rotten bottoms are not a regular requirement where I normally fish LR, I probably only use them a couple of times a year when I fish marks where casting into the Thames shipping channel is required. I picked the rig up from a video made by Jim Dobie and I thought if its good enough for him......

There may well be custom made clips available now but this works for me when I need to use it. I may well have a look at these clips....who makes them?
Why not use the "rotten bottom" clips that are available rather than modifying clips, hooks and using foam & pins?

Are they inefective or too expensive?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i'd rather stick pins (and foam) in my eyes than use this method......sorry Si couldn't resist that!

Cheers
LOL. I've used all sorts. In the end I always go back to pins. Mainly because it's much quicker to make up 24 rigs for a session. I always use 80lb for rigs and leader. I've lost a few weights with "C" clips normally when you hit it at the end of the pendulum cast.

Si

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Most of our fishing is over mud in the thames, and when you do fish down the channel edge its relatively short range (40-50 yards) . Pendulum casting with a rotten bottom rig is not a combo I need too often, a bomber rig with a lead lift is about as 'snag aware' as it gets.

LOL. I've used all sorts. In the end I always go back to pins. Mainly because it's much quicker to make up 24 rigs for a session. I always use 80lb for rigs and leader. I've lost a few weights with "C" clips normally when you hit it at the end of the pendulum cast.

Si

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
another little tip tye knot 2 foot from lead put on bead then swivel then another bead then tye knot then make sure you can pull bead over knot tye 8 inch stood and a mustard 79515 3to4 on now if hook gets snagged put line round handle and pull straight at snag the bottom bead goes over knot and the snood runs down to the lead giving you a straight pull on the hook the hook nearly always bends out bobs your uncle best barry

·
Banned
1 Posts
Use either a foam cube or a square cut out of a milk carton. The square should be roughly 1cm by 1cm.

Push a panel pin through the centre of the foam or plastic square as in the picture.

As you loose the device every cast you will need to carry a few already made up with you when you go fishing. I usually carry around 100 in a plastic tub.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Most of our fishing is over mud in the thames, and when you do fish down the channel edge its relatively short range (40-50 yards) . Pendulum casting with a rotten bottom rig is not a combo I need too often, a bomber rig with a lead lift is about as 'snag aware' as it gets.
It's quite common to loose a dozen rigs if you fish some of the rock marks down here. You adapt your rigs to maximise the chances of getting it back and if you don't it's no big deal.

Si

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Christ
some of my rigs are 3 or 4 years old and in some cases I've just sharpened the hooks!

It's quite common to loose a dozen rigs if you fish some of the rock marks down here. You adapt your rigs to maximise the chances of getting it back and if you don't it's no big deal.

Si

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,034 Posts
i have tried the breakaway rotten bottom clips, the 'rotters' from veals and the gemini escape links.....and imo the gemini clips are by far the best rotten bottem clips on the market, can power cast with these and got a lot more of my gear back than with the other two

1 - 20 of 25 Posts