World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this a stupid question, what is a rotten bottom rig :eek: I looked in the rigs section of the forum but can't see anything about what they are made for and how they are made.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A rotten bottom rig is for fishing over very snaggy ground or used when wrecking from a boat. all it is is a weaker piece of line than your main line which is used to attach the weight to your rig this will break if your weight gets snagged so you only loose your weight and not the whole thing, for wreck or drift fishing use a garden tie to do the same thing.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It is also used from the shore, and being the 'shore section' of the site, I guess this was the intended use ???

As Gus says, its a weak link connecting the lead so that in theory breaks first and allows you to retrieve the rest of the trace along with monster fish attached :D

Any paternoster can be a 'rotten bottom' rig, by using a suitable rotten bottom thingy (technical term) on the end where the weight dangles (another technical term). It makes sense however to only use 1 hook traces (less to get snagged)

There are a couple of rotten bottom products on the market (my prefence being for the gemini one). They all work on the same basis - attach the lead to the gizmo via a weaker line than the real mainilne, and attach the gizmo to the bottom of the trace. Gemini and Breakaway ones allow 'proper' casting in safety. However, if you are only lobbing baits a short distance then there are cheaper alternatives.

I initially tried 15lb line for rot bots (after reading all the magazines) but suffered lots of unecessary lost leads due to the abbrassion of the thin 15lb line - I now use 35lb mainline and 20lb rotten bottom, with a knot tied in the 20lb to weaken it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
dgp1957 said:
Sorry if this a stupid question, what is a rotten bottom rig :eek: I looked in the rigs section of the forum but can't see anything about what they are made for and how they are made.

dgp 1957

Ref Manx reply about losing a lot o leads heard one this from a very old boy:

main line onto a 3 way swivel then hook snood. for the rotton bottom link use a disposable nappy bag filled with small stones. The theory behind it is if the nappy bag gets snagged it rips the stones fall out thus still able to reel in fish? attach nappy bag to 3 way swivel by split ring/garden tie/paper clip or tie it direct. not sure how eco friendly it is

Woodster

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
As Manx mentioned, the Gemini links are the only one I have felt confident enough with to add a bit more power to the cast and are reliable and easy to use.
Terry F.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have a look at http://gemini-tackle.co.uk/frame.htm and go to Genie clips. I use the one on the top left of that page upside down. Tie the clip onto the bottom of your trace through the large loop. Tie one end of 8 - 10 inches of weaker line (10 to 15lb) to the eye of the clip, the other to your weight. With the weight hanging off the rig, spin the weight, stop it spinning after a couple of seconds and then hook the weight onto the clip before you cast. The spinning twists the loop of line so it is twisted together an can't snag on your hooks etc. When it hits the water the weight is released and hangs on the weaker line.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well done idpearl - that's one of the 'cheaper solutions' I was thinking about - just couldn't think of a way to describe it. A picture certainly does paint a thousand words.

·
Banned
396 Posts
if you incorporate a swivel at the bottom of your rig........simply cut part of the eye off on the bottom part so it resembles a "hook" then hang your lead off when you cast.........works aswell as the bought 1zz.......im a tight get too:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice one Idpearl. Pity, I've just bought some Gemini release clips when I've actually got loads of the clips in your post already in my box. You live and learn. Thanks mate.

--------------------------------------------------
If I didn't have bad luck fishin' I wouldn't have any luck at all.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
:)
marcus said:
and of course if you wanna rotten bottom when fishing..Make sure u go to dodgy kebab shops and stuff your face the night before..

HARDCORE ROTTEN BOTTOM FISHING! :eek:
Having done that, you can then use your own nappy as a rotten bottom thus improving the scent trail

·
Banned
396 Posts
hey caster sugar why do you need a nappy? have you been in prison? im not a nozy bloke i work for the samaritans..........if you ever need any 1 to talk to............
phone some 1 else.........micky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts