World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone give me some advice about the leads to use on rotten bottom rigs? Sould they be leads that dont have grippers (not breakaways or gemini) will these still hold the bottom firm?

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
you dont need to use a specific lead on a rotten bottom rig. it will depend on the ground your fishing what you use.

if i,m fishing at distance and theres the odd snag i,ll put a rotten bottom on my rig.[my rottem bottom clips can be added to any rig later] i will still use a grip lead to hold it in place.

if i,m on very snaggy ground i,ll also use a rotten bottom but i prefer to use a plain lead and let it roll into a gully. there are loads here who will swear by using grips in the rough to stop it rolling into snags. personally i dont like the idea of the lead holding onto the top of rock and would rather it dropped into a hole.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
If I am fishing cleanish ground and their is a bit of undertow I use 3,4,5,6,7,oz regular bomb leads that are dirt cheap but hammer em flatish. I have used smaller sizes for years on the river while barbelling and was fed up with not being able to find decent flat leads. Love hammering em as well, great stress busting exercise ! LOL:kissing:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
If I am fishing really rough ground I put a stone of the right weight in a length of nylon tights instead of using lead, far more eco ( If you believe that you believe anything, its more that I am too tight to lose leads in any significant number, ie more than two a session ! PMSL )

·
Registered
424 Posts
Could anyone give me some advice about the leads to use on rotten bottom rigs? Sould they be leads that dont have grippers (not breakaways or gemini) will these still hold the bottom firm?
Some people use leads with long, springy fixed grip wires with the idea that most of the time the wires will snag, not the lead itself. The wires will then straighten out for retrieve.

The comment made above about your gear possibly ending up sitting on a rock out of reach of the fish is valid, though.

If the ground is really bad and you don't need to cast far then concrete weights, mass moulded in egg cartons are a cheap alternative to lead weights. The idea of putting rocks in tights is a good one too - you can then vary the weight.

G

·
somebody suggested that potatoes could be used - they are at least biodegradable I suppose. Never tried it myself but spuds would be cheap way of getting your bait to the bottom - best tried away from prying eyes in case other anglers think you've lost the plot!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Two spark plugs = about 5oz.
Totally dispensable.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
rotten bottom = no lead i use bolts or spark plugs and a weaker knot with a couple of knots in the attaching line
people can be snobbish about not using lead but its a false economy if you think about it
if they grin at your rig just wait till they break off a quids worth of lead and then strike back with a belly laugh and offer them a spark plug for 50p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts