World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mate ties up his rig bodies in 40 pound line, he doesnt pwer cast, then a few inches from the lead he ties a couple of knots in the line, he says it weakens the line to about 20 , then if u get snagged , it will break before main line?

I have used the rotters u shaped clips but so far have got on best with the breakaway escape links, the ones which dont need a legnth of line, trouble is in really rough ground whole rig often goes, and at £2:50 a packet of 10 thats pricey.

Does anyone else tie small knots as a way of making a cheaper weak link?

P

·
0 Posts
In my opinion this is dangerous. For a weak link I normally use those supplied by Gemini, they havent failed to release and I rarely lose one.

Even if you don't powercast, the shockleader is there for a reason! I normally use at least 60lb shockleader, and, 80lb as my backbone for rigs. This gives me the extra protection against the sand and rocks!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Nice opener Pobo'
Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
A couple of simple overhand knots in a 40lb lead link will effectivly reduce the pull strength by 50% (20lb) which will allow you to break out just losing your lead and hopefully retrieving your fish!. However this is only suitable for short range fishing for wrasse, conger and bull huss with 35lb+ mainlines and not to be used for power casting!. I use this method and find it is foolproof as it is cheap easy to tie and the 40lb helpswith abrasion so you only lose a lead when when you are shagged up and not in retrieving and casting!Why not use spark plugs they are easy to get hold of from a local garage and are ideal for short range fishing. Use 6oz leads when more distance is required as they are more aero dynamic than 3 spark plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts