World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A rotten bottom is quite simply a method of attaching your lead to the trace with a weak link.

If your lead gets caught in a snag the weak link parts and you get the trace and (hopefully) fish back.

Many people make there own, out of bent bits of wire etc, others just use a weak piece of line........... but this is only for gentle lobs with the lead, as these methods won't handle powerful casts without the weak link parting.

If you want to buy what in my opinion is the best method AND also use a powerful cast then have a look at http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=430

These release every time to have the weak link do its job and can take a big powerful cast.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Like Scrudgy says it is mearly a weaker link between your lead and rig. That could be by using a rottom bottom link system such as the Breakaway escape link or if your fishing for example on a boat and just dropping your lead straight down you could use a thinner / weaker piece of line say maybe 12lb.

I use a rottom bottom when fishing wrecks over at Whitby and use a piece of 20lb line between my lead and rig.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
As above only I use the Gemini clips if I want to put some power into the cast. These clips hook the weight through the eye and have a small plastic disc that slip up and over when it hits the water releasing the lead (which you have tied the weak link on). Great wee bits of kit. However if I am fishing a really rocky mark your hooks will catch so strong enough line and thin hooks (so they will straighten upon a hard pull) is good too.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Also it good to find inventive weights to use on the rotten bottom, sparkplugs, concrete, soft stone, chain links etc is good. As you loose the weight cost is a real consideration. Especially if you fish some of the marks I do where you can count on loosing your gear every 2nd cast minimum. So loose the beads swivels and crimps, expensive clips etc and stick to blood loops, a single swivel and some scrap as weight otherwise it still gets too expensive. Put in some weak links and some clever home made clips if putting any kind of power into the cast, as said before gentle lobs are ok but they really have to be soft

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Also it good to find inventive weights to use on the rotten bottom, sparkplugs, concrete, soft stone, chain links etc is good. As you loose the weight cost is a real consideration. Especially if you fish some of the marks I do where you can count on loosing your gear every 2nd cast minimum. So loose the beads swivels and crimps, expensive clips etc and stick to blood loops, a single swivel and some scrap as weight otherwise it still gets too expensive. Put in some weak links and some clever home made clips if putting any kind of power into the cast, as said before gentle lobs are ok but they really have to be soft
cement in egg cases is always a winner and cheap as hell

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yep gazmonster, read someone on here did it a while ago. Getting them to 5oz is a bit of a challenge and they don't look great but who cares if you loose them allmost every time....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thats an excellent point that mate!! well made.... :notworthy

A guy I used to work with used to tack weld welding wire to nuts and bolts. I would say you can get away without the welding wire and tie it directly to your rig

Boat and Tackle

·
Registered
823 Posts
I usually scour the beach for smooth, high density stones with hard surfaces and then araldite a swivel to them. I do them in batches of 20 and lay a large spot of araldite, about 1" dia; to bed the swivel into. This ensures that the araldite gets a superfast grip on the stone: the swivels never come adrift.
I choose rounded or discoid stones of different sizes so I have a variety of weights to meet various conditions of tide and current.
They are also excellent as lead-free ledgers in freshwater.
I reckon they cost me about 5 pence each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts