World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering for a bit of advice. Recently started fishing some rough ground marks obviously I loose tackle. After loosing a few rigs the first time I am now going to start using rotten bottoms. Went in to the tackle shop this morning and they didnt have any in. To attatch my lead to my rig i use a snap link swivel. If I bent the snap a little bit attached some 6-8lb line on to the swivel itself tied it to the lead put the lead on the link left open hope fully when the lead hits the bottom it would come free of the link and I could easily snap the weaker line.

Would this work??????

Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
A rotton botton, is merely a link of line, from your trace to your sinker, that is weaker than your trace line & main line. The idea being, that as it is your weight that USUALLY gets trapped in the bottom, when you heave on it, the line from trace to weight breaks, leaving your trace & the 10lb cod on it to be reeled in!
You can weaken that link merely by tying a "granny knot" in it, that will go before your main line breaks believe me!
Beware of going too low with the breaking strain of your rotton bottom, remember you still have to cast with it! Too low a breaking strain, & the guy fishing next door to you ends up "wearing" it!!!!!! The rest of the guys on the pier or down the foreshore would love you!!!!
Have a look in Mikes "Rigs & Knots" he's bound to have explained it in there, but dont go leaving any clips undone for loops to "float off", just use a breaking strain that goes before your main line, but is still strong enough for casting with!
blueskip

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Blue skip I forgot about casting. What breaking strain line would you make your trakes out of and what would you use for the link

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Bass Buster, it depends on what reel line you use, I use 20lb braid & 50lb shock leader off the beach. Over a dirty bottom I would probably use a 35lb shock leader & hook link (you dont need the same distance into rocky bottom) & 15/18lb link to my lead, (this could be attached with granny knots to weaken it).
Its very much a personal choice at different venues.
If you go to A to Z of WSF (on the left) double click & you will see a white box into which if you enter "rotten bottoms" you will get 5 different scenarios from fishing in Ireland with a rotten bottom.
You really DO NOT want details of MY rotten bottom.
blueskip

·
Registered
51 Posts
[
QUOTE=Bass Buster]Was wondering for a bit of advice. Recently started fishing

HELLO BASSBUSTER,
In october i fished a rocky mark in dumf & gallo i fished with my mate who is older wiser and a lot more knowlegable than i however on this occasion he used a clippped down bomber with pennel hooks and the blue gemini leads , i had tied up some rigs for fishing this mark they consisted of a standard gemini genie link clip trace of 60 lb i attached my snood using a blood knot loop whichwas tied on my trace i attached my weight with an oval split, i used a standard cheap breakaway lead (the one wi the yellow bits on). i only used 1 hook on my snood. at the end o the session i had hooked one 5lb cod which i lost at my feet doh my mate got one of similar size . he lost at least half a dozen of his rigs i finished with the same one.
i think it was the simplicity of my rig that helped me get them back. good luck

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Excuse me? did anybody understand what he said? I was lost after the first six words! fishing nowadays has got so complicated!
I still work on the basic assumptions
(a) You can catch big fish with small hooks, but rarely the other way around!
(b) If you want to be 200yds out, buy a boat!
(c) Fishing consists of a worm at one end, & a mug at the other!
I'm sure he's a nice lad, & that he sends flowers to his mother, but he lost me totally before we got to Scotch Corner, let alone Dumfries & Galloway!
blueskip

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
if you have bait in the water and a hook in it thenyou have a chance of a fish everything else just complicates matters. Fishing Cefin Sidan in November I took 3 Bass one was 4lbish and 5 or 6 flounders Ok so the flats all went back but I at least caught them-not so my mate who was using his brand new and very expensive rod and reel and had been bragging about his technique and expertise in trace set ups. My rig-second hand DAM uptider and a Shakespeare reel I bought on E-bay for a tenner other end had one hook and a weight. :D

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Shame on you "roller" paying all that money for a reel! I have to make do with the inside of a toilet roll mounted between two cocoa tin lids, tied onto a broom handle, which has a safety pin bent & sellotaped on the end as an eye!
I have to walk 50miles to the beach, then dig worms with my bare hands, & thread them onto a gramophone needle, which is tied onto the end of the garden twine I have to use.
If I catch any fish, I have to start a fire by rubbing my legs together, & the fish are eaten on the beach "al fresco", to give me strength to walk the 5o miles back home!
Those were the days!
blueskip

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cheers for the welcome lads, and if you are coming up my way i am sure you would be better coming straight up the m6 scotch corner is a bit out of your way , maybe you were as good at understanding the road signs as you were my post blue skip and yes i do send flowers to my mum but probably not as often as i should.
Have a cracking new year!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Was that Ray Gravell by any chance? a hairy tasteless morsel of a druid he is!
blueskip

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Hi baileybridger welcome oh northern celt.
Mind you I blame the magazines (see New Year Resolutuions - non-fishing chat) We in the north had to make do with mud, no gravel, that was for King Rag which brought in the money (Scouse anglers)

Hooks and lines came from the same source (visitors) after I'd told them where the best marks were and that High water was best. Rods/reels were only for visitors and they rarely threw them in!

Tank aerials were the first rods with 10' of line and bicycle valve tubing cut to mimic a Norwegian eel. Tiny hook, bought from fresh water tackle shop. Great tackle for night fishing for pollack on high water. (The brown eel is STILL best night time pollack lure, got to be vibration??)

Dirty bottom links, 10lb lighter than main line allowing for the fact that only a MAGAZINE reader would fish a rough bottomed place with anything lighter than 35lb Braid!

My first 'real' rod was an 8', hollow glass, DIY job (still got it) and an Intrepid Omnia reel. 15lb line with a hook tied direct. Large King rag or whole peeler was enough to get it out 40 yards or so. When it snagged you only lost a hook (plenty to find at Low water Spring!) Come to think of it I used to catch masses of bass using this tackle, so why do I now use a Custom made Rod (Shambrook's Rubber Shark - wonderful - best all rounder/investment!) and an orange Abu!

Answer: I'm older and befuddled by something, and I've learnt to bloody read!!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Sorry. Bit lost with this one. Are you fishing from a boat? If so a paperclip will do. From the shore it would be murder. Best, simplest system I've ever seen for shorecasting is the Gemini link clip (the link with integral bait clip). At the bottom of the trace attach it "upside down". You can now tie you're weak link to the eyes of the clip and your lead and hang the lead on the upside down bait clip. Works a treat. I would use stronger line than 6-8lb as it tends to give in to abrasion. I use 12lb and this seems to work quite well.

Rhod.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Rhod

The upside down gemini link with bait clip is a great idea. I have some of these somewhere, and now I know what I will do with them.

I only ever used them as lead links anyway, as clipped down baits never seem to stay clipped down when I cast.

Ever considered a change of career into tackle design???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts