World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Read a few things about weak links/saving your rig bar the weight. I read somewhere that a couple of knots in the link line will weaken it. On this forum i've read that you mustn't cast with this set-up. How do you get the bait/rig out there?

Any help on good rotten bottom links and simple ones would be appreciated.
Regards
Blenny

·
Registered
347 Posts
There are several different rotten bottom set ups and it really depends what kind of fishing you are doing as to what type you use. The simplest if you are fishing straight down a wall or rock mark is to tie your lead on to lead link using line of a lighter breaking strain than your main line. You must not cast with this set up. The second is for a gentle lob you can use an open lead link generally called a rotter (think the name came from dave dowcra tackle) this is basically a hook shape you sit your lead on for casting and again tie your lead on with weak line eg Veals RBC Rotten Bottom Clip (http://veals.co.uk/acatalog/Veals_Catalogue_Clips_77.html) . When the lead hits the water it pops out the link and is only attached by the weak line. Next and in my opinion the best all round are the sea mach rock release links these consist of an oval split link and a long arm and a big bead (http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Sea_Matches_Clips.html). The lead is tied on and fed onto the long arm then the bead is pushed over the arm. When the set up hits the water the bead floats up the line and releases the lead. the disadvantage is you have to make your rigs up in advance with these. The advantage is they allow a decent cast with confidence. The best of all are the gemini breakers (http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/clips2.php). Very difficult to describe but similar principle to the rock release except they are all in the one piece. They can just be added onto a lead link. they are more expensive but will cope with all casting styles.

hope this helps

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Drago

I will consult my rig book for trying these out. Should've looked there first perhaps :eek: but good to get others opinions.

Tight lines

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Some really good advice there I think although it pains me to lose the rotten bottom rig AND the lead!!!!!!!!! Remember that using slightly lighter line to attach your lead will work as long as you're not trying to hit huge distances!

I use 35lb braid with no shockleader, and with the lead tied on with 30lb mono, when i'm fishing the Swellies. This is because there's no need to cast more than about 60yds (average is 40yds!) when i'm after Bass as they will be feeding (hopefully) in the rough stuff which is were crabs find refuge. I've never tried the knotted piece of line idea as I have no real idea how much energy it needs before it parts! Perhaps it's worth trying when i'm alone and thus not in danger of 'braining' anyone!! Mind you it's only practice (many would say, bad practice) that allows me to do what I described above!

Since reading your initial posting I had a quick read of Mike Thrussels ideas/tips etc. up there on the left and in particular the stuff on 'Rough Ground Bassing' and one on Cod in similar ground. He talks of using no more than 2ozs because you don't need to hit the horizon. Come to think of it, that's all I ever used to use! Spark plugs are about that and I've lost masses of them too!

Why is it then that I've taken to chucking out 3,4 and even 6ozs?? Why?? Answer: because I bought a new rod/reel and that's what the articles in Magazines are advocating. They must be fishing in places with far more tidal flow than I do OR ARE HAVING TO CAST OUT FAR TO REACH THE FISH!! Fishing sandy/pebbly beaches in East Anglia, as I sometimes do, (about once every 3 months) I can afford to use heavy leads and even to clip then on directly to my rigs!!!!! I have been known to take off the initial lead at the end of the three hours, or even change leads to experiment!! So there I use thinner 15lb braid with a 40lb shockleader. It protects the natives and makes me feel a little more like a 'proper' sea-angler!!!!

·
Banned
396 Posts
if you use shop bought rotten clips and you run out if you cut off part of the ring on the bottom swivel on the rig so that is made into a hook shape, then the lead can be hung on it while you cast, these work just as well as the shoppies.............

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Blag a few feet of old lead pipe off a friendly plumber and chop it into lengths of whatever weight you want, drill a hole through and tie in a loop of 50lb mono. In 10 minutes you'll have a couple of dozen disposable sinkers you won't mind losing when the light line parts.

Old roofing lead also works. Just grab some snips and cut it into strips then roll these up with a mono loop attached similarly. Roll-your-own sinkers!

Cheers - John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts