World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hopefully somebody has a bit of a bright idea about this one, My Wilson flyer has two pieces of ply that have completely rotten away as a transom with grp skin on either side, it came to light when we had a new engine fitted a year ago and as with any big problem it was swept under the carpet for a rainy day... That day has now come!

In 2010 I stripped the floor out as read about the issues with regards to the foam filled deck and uncovered a major project... The previous owner had replaced the deck with ply ( rotten ) and for "buoyancy" filled the whole underside with 2ltr coke bottles half of which were filled with water!!! ?. I lifted the floor and undertook the major job of replacing all of the ribs and buoyancy sections correctly, it now has a honeycombed board made from plastic as the floor and it is SOLID!

This being said, I was expecting some problems with the transom but really wanted to get fishing by September and everything seamed in order.

when we up rated the engine, the first drilling of the holes when water was ****ing out I decided it really needed doing and soon,

I started to research the best product to use, the only talked about material is ply and ply. I spoke with my dad and he suggested ply for the strength in the core but I don't know how I feel about it.

I would really like to use a product the will not rot especially because you drill holes in it for the engine and other transom mounted item such as transducer bait pump exc. I am thinking of making the whole section out of glass and resin but I have concerns about the strength, yes it will be very strong but will it be able to take the stress? Would really like to hear other peoples view on this, I have added a photo of that's there at the moment

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
My boat has what is described as a 'composite' transom (also the stringers) - but I have no idea what the composite is - I've read of it being described as looking a bit like concrete, but obviously it's not that! - so there are boats that don't have ply transoms, although my answer isn't really of much help! Prior to that the brand (Seaswirl) was apparently fitted with 'green ply' transoms which supposedly is a non-rot wood - but again I don't know anything about that - but could be a pointer for you for further research.

343 Posts

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
ply is fine for the transom as long as its fitted correctly and engine bolts are sealed with lots of sikaflex.

i use 18mm wbp ply for transoms.

cut to shape and then drill lots of 6mm holes in it,

bond first piece in with bonding paste.

the paste will ooze out of the pre drilled holes so once paste has gone off the ply is rigid.

clean face of ply and cover with 2 layers of mat.

second sheet of ply done same as first with holes drilled in it and then bonded on with bonding paste.

then cover again with 2 or 3 layers of mat.

when fitting your engine you could drill the bolt holes with a 12 or 13mm drill and then remove engine and drill again with say a 16mm bit.

then fill holes with p40 fibreglass filler. leave to set and then re drill 13mm holes for engine.

that way the ply is sealed so water won't get in to it.

when bolting engine on use lots of sikaflex spread all over the shank of the bolts so when you put them in they seal the hole up really well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been interested in this Seacast product for a while but i cant seem to source it in the UK. ]

I have done some research on seacast and it looks fab..! An ideal product for the replacement of a wooden transom. Boat products have come on such a long way in recent year in regards to products, if I knew of this when I rebuild mine last time I wouldn't have used any wood!

Good news about suppliers into the U.K... After contracting the Florida HQ they emailed to say they have a depot in Denmark I am awaiting a cost for the required amount including carriage but all looking very promising!

I will report back when I have the product and do a little blog, but a big thank you for the ideas guys I knew by throwing it out into the forums we would find a good answer! ?

G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts