World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this tope recently. Both pectoral fins looked as if they were rotting away. If it was on a human i would say it was gangrene.

Has anyone seen anything like it before or got any ideas as to what could cause it?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
that looks nasty bet it didnt half smell.

·
Registered
24,896 Posts
Well,seeing as tope are protected now,cant land it so have to chuck it back with its fins mangled by the mesh?????:thumbs:

G

·
I caught this tope recently. Both pectoral fins looked as if they were rotting away. If it was on a human i would say it was gangrene.

Has anyone seen anything like it before or got any ideas as to what could cause it?
I passed this on to a friend in the marine lab. at La Rochelle. His first reaction, without samples for biopsy/DNA analysis, was that it was damage resulting from attack - whether from other shark species, orcas, seals or whatever, is almost impossible to determine. He recommended you should carry sample test-tubes & swabs........

Talk to you more on this next Monday, weather permitting.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have just googled necrosis and it certainly looks like it. Do fish get it?
Yes they do.
I'm no expert
I used to work at freshwater fisheries so have seen fin rot necrosis etc and read about it.

I didnt think sharks/rays etc could suffer with it the same because of the fins and skin make up,
and the fact that shark suffer very little from disease because of their immune system, one of the reasons they are interested in sharks for medicines.
So it is definetly some rare occurance you have found, I would say

sure someone else on here will know something more

·
Registered
451 Posts
My first thought was "Shark's Fin Soup"...............might it have had part of its fins sliced off, then been returned ?

·
Registered
728 Posts
If it is of any interest, I caught a common smooth hound recently with evident signs of fin rot affecting the dorsal and tail fins, and lesser signs elsewhere. The fish was about nine pounds, gender unknown, and was returned in the usual way. The damage was far less than illustrated here, but the top of the fin had gone, leaving a livid red edge. It certainly did not look like an injury, I suppose it could have been caused by a net, but that would not explain why more than one fin was affected.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ian, I assume you returned the fish.
I know it's not something you might agree with, but i'd have killed it smartish if both fins were the same.
Like you say the fins are 'rotting' - it surly would not survive for much longer.
I'd have taken into plymouth (or local) marine lab for people to take a look at.
They are always delighted to see any unusual species we catch
Hi Sharpshooter

I was in two minds at the time. In hind sight perhaps I should have put it out its misery.

I have sent the images off to a few people who might be able to shed further light

1 - 14 of 14 Posts