·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
interested in what people choose.

·
Premium Member
17,392 Posts
If it’s very heavy I’ll use anything from spark plugs to Three-four hex nuts glued or welded together but always a rotten bottom

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
If it’s very heavy I’ll use anything from spark plugs to Three-four hex nuts glued or welded together but always a rotten bottom
Yep, agree. Anything cheap n nasty, throw away stuff that I can find, beg, borrow or steal.

I’ve even wired pebbles up before. It’s not as if you usually have to cast far over the rough stuff...

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a friendly welder today and got some steel to make some links and rotten bottom clips so can afford to lose a bit more stuff. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mikeyfelley

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good. I just reverse a lead clip, put it on the first and tie a weak link to the eye.

Then when you cast you hang the lead/pebble on the clip that’s tied to the rig body...
So tie a J on rig body then hang a r onto that one? How do you connect the last clip to your lead?

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
So tie a J on rig body then hang a r onto that one? How do you connect the last clip to your lead?
I use these.

733575BD-7C85-4C85-B089-94FF860C1BC7.jpeg

So tie one to your rig body (it’s my go to rig/bait clip) then get a second, turn it upside down and clip over the first.

Then tie about six inches of lower BS line than your mainline to the eye of the suspended clip and the weight on the other.

When you cast, you can hang the weight on the rig body clip, protecting the rotten bottom link during the cast.

It’s very simple, I’d do a pic but I’m indoors in the warm lol

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use these.

View attachment 1122203

So tie one to your rig body (it’s my go to rig/bait clip) then get a second, turn it upside down and clip over the first.

Then tie about six inches of lower BS line than your mainline to the eye of the suspended clip and the weight on the other.

When you cast, you can hang the weight on the rig body clip, protecting the rotten bottom link during the cast.

It’s very simple, I’d do a pic but I’m indoors in the warm lol
No pic needed. That pic is clear enough. Cheers for that

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
No pic needed. That pic is clear enough. Cheers for that
No worries. A mate showed it to me - before that I’d bought the expensive rotten bottom clips etc and never found them that great, plus it hurt my pocket to lose them.

A 100 pack of those clips is about £4 or something from Veals. I only get the cheapy Tronix ones and find they do fine.

You can pay double and get the Breakaway ones but I honestly don’t see the point, it’s a pretty basic bit of kit.

Once in a very blue moon you might be unlucky and the lead will unclip, but I’ve found it incredibly rare in years of fishing

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
https://goo.gl/images/Aq7d2U
https://goo.gl/images/2dLxYB
https://goo.gl/images/EmH9L4

These are the types you should be using. Forget all the fancy links and expensive clips, they are just something else to get stuck or lose.

Keep it simple, the loop and foam panel pin is tried and tested, I like the j clips but tend to bend these a little with heavy pliers. With a nice smooth technique they cope with a pendulum cast even on a 7oz lead.
You can also open up the eye of your leads and just hook these onto a loop of line, basically a j clip in reverse.

Nearly all my rigs incorporate a lead with a built in bait clip, saves on another bait clip being required. Just accept leads WILL be lost.

Hooks that bend are also a must. Braid and a high speed reel are also game changers. Braid gives instant contact with the lead allowing you to lift tackle quickly.

With braid you can use heavier traces and rotten bottom line, I tend to use 2 lengths of 20lb mono, twisted. It still snaps but if you bump a sharp rock on the retrieve your more likely to get your lead back. It's amazing how many times you still have 1 of the 2 lengths attached. With 1 length of rotten bottom line you would have lost that lead needlessly!

You can use pulley rigs, they aren't my favourite but if I must use them then I like to use a stopper so they only work as a pulley under pressure.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

These are the types you should be using. Forget all the fancy links and expensive clips, they are just something else to get stuck or lose.

Keep it simple, the loop and foam panel pin is tried and tested, I like the j clips but tend to bend these a little with heavy pliers. With a nice smooth technique they cope with a pendulum cast even on a 7oz lead.
You can also open up the eye of your leads and just hook these onto a loop of line, basically a j clip in reverse.

Nearly all my rigs incorporate a lead with a built in bait clip, saves on another bait clip being required. Just accept leads WILL be lost.

Hooks that bend are also a must. Braid and a high speed reel are also game changers. Braid gives instant contact with the lead allowing you to lift tackle quickly.

With braid you can use heavier traces and rotten bottom line, I tend to use 2 lengths of 20lb mono, twisted. It still snaps but if you bump a sharp rock on the retrieve your more likely to get your lead back. It's amazing how many times you still have 1 of the 2 lengths attached. With 1 length of rotten bottom line you would have lost that lead needlessly!

You can use pulley rigs, they aren't my favourite but if I must use them then I like to use a stopper so they only work as a pulley under pressure.
What about lead lifters, do you use them, are they any good?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What about lead lifters, do you use them, are they any good?
Absolutely not, whoever thought they were a good idea needs shooting. They are useless, they don't cast very well and are just something else to snag and lose.

As has been mentioned, lift and wind fast and keep winding. Slow down or stop winding at your peril. Only back off a little on a decent fish to prevent hook pulls.

On clean ground you can take your time but not in mixed to rough ground.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Absolutely not, whoever thought they were a good idea needs shooting. They are useless, they don't cast very well and are just something else to snag and lose.

As has been mentioned, lift and wind fast and keep winding. Slow down or stop winding at your peril. Only back off a little on a decent fish to prevent hook pulls.

On clean ground you can take your time but not in mixed to rough ground.
That's grand then, never used them before and I never will now, must say I had my doubts of them being able to lift anything over 2oz from the deck.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Normally I use viking as they bend well. Can't remember what make these were from veals but they come back too
DSC_0025.JPG

·
Registered
239 Posts

Hi chukka, could you please tell me hooks brands or models, except the viking i already search for them and i cant find then here. Thanks

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Kamasan Uptides are my favourite but they aren't cheap. They hold a good point, dont rust too badly and mostly bend out once snagged.

I also like a chinu or circle for my top hook if using a pennel. Once these go in you rarely lose a fish. Mustad demon fine wire being very good, they too bend out if snagged on old lines, ropes or kelp.

s-l400 (1).jpg

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
It is very important when fishing rough ground that you do not let your lead move on the sea bed, tighten up carefully and when retrieving, strike hard and wind like hell!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts