World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks looking recommendations for a rough groung multiplier with good line capacity most of the fishing i do is west coast of Scotland so it deep lochs

·
Registered
138 Posts
saltist 30's take some beating, ive tried most and found these the best of the bunch, i moved over to fixed spools and braid some years ago for all my rough ground fishiong but kept a couple of these and cant bring myself to part with them for the rare occasion they get an outing.
great reels..

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yep. Saltist 30’s for me too. They are good strong reels for the size. Just be aware that the outer finish scratches easily ;)

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
The old Saltist full metal jackets were shyte. If I was fishing rough ground I'd get a 20000 Shimano Saragosa fixed spool. I have 4 Saragosa reels they're simply the best for the money

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I’ve no personal experience of the old ”full metal jackets” but I used the Saltist 30 BG’s extensively, up until around 5 years ago (I mostly boat fish now. I found them very easy to cast, with a high retrieve ratio to get your rig and lead up and out of the rough stuff and they had a decently smooth drag. I’ve used them to haul in 40-50lb Tope in 6kts of tide from the rocks in North Wales. Which is why I recommended them.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Over looked but Diawa still sell the Slosh 20 & 30's good reels with high retrieve and a proven track record.
Great until there's a bit of wear and tear, then the shafts snap and it's often a new set of gears and replacement shaft.

Also the Slosh 20 spools are prone to bursting under pressure. When that happens it often takes out the left hand sideplate as well.

Saltist BG a much better choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts