World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to fish some rough or mixed grounds in the last month. I have been using rotten bottom rig and i lost lots of gear! In most cases leads wee lost. But in some cases hooks were snagged and got lost eventually.

how do yu prevent hooks from being snagged? Use shorter rigs? Or extensionS?

Any idea suggestion is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Don't fish rough ground.

Losses are inevitable. Circle hooks snag less but in my opinion hook poorer too.

Mustad Viking hooks bend out with steady pressure so they are my choice.

Use the rotten bottom. Use grip leads and make sure they are heavy enough.

Use braid, but don't pull out of snags from the reel, wrap round some wood or similar.

Don't tighten too far down to the lead as you'll not need to with fish in the rough.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Just use Pulley rigs and wind in like your life depends on it . Loosing gear is all part of the game but upping your line breaking strain will help you get a few more sets of gear back.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If you don't need great distance dispense with the terminal tackle all together with a loop rig and use stones as weights

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
All part of the game unfortunately.
I have found that reducing the length of my snood does help.
As above, if you can get away with using Uptide Vikings then you can usually bend them out.
I use 30lb mono main line without a leader but I know some people use braid with a mono leader tied on with a FG knot.
Other than that, make sure you don't reel in any slack after you've cast, but also don't let out too much line during your cast.
Lower trajectory the better as less chance of your line getting caught up in kelp.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
A good strong shockleader knot is equally important as the end tackle used.
Mine would be a standard Pulley rig of roughly 2-3ft, small beads, no fancy bait clips, I use the tronix canny links or just an upside down gemini clip. I don't believe in using hooks that bend out, just use a single strong hook like a Varivas BMX in a size that suits what your fishing for. Main line 0.45 to 0.80 Shockleader connected with a spiderhitch.
Use a weak link of about 15lb mono to your weight, this way sometimes you will pull your lead free, using a weak link any lighter and you will probably lose your lead every cast!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Another vote for stones. Why use leads on a rotten bottom rig when you know there's a good chance of losing them ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of using a a piece of plastic wrap and a thin fishing line, with which I would cover a stone over 6 oz and use it as my lead on a rough ground. How does that sound? or, how do you use stones for leads during casting?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Don't fancy thin fishing line and 6oz+ weight. I use 65lb mainline with a 30lb rotton bottom. Tie a small loop in one end of the 30lb line, pass the other end through the small loop, slip it round your chosen stone, pull it tight and then tape it into place using insulation tape. Tape over the line and either side so that the line can't slip. Tie another loop into the remaining end and you're sorted. I don't give it any power casting just a good overhead lob and it works a treat.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I will try this next time, first thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts