World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now in recent months I've been asking about a few different areas and to be fair the advice has been sound. But I've been told by a few folks don't fish the beaches fish the rock marks. Now my question to all is have you put time into the beaches or have you just fish rock marks. I really enjoy clean ground fishing, I'm not a big fan of the rock marks even though I no they can produce. I've had some massive fish of clean beaches and honestly I can seem to drive past one to fish a rough mark. Thanks for reading
Jay c

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
Both. Depends what I’m after, when, what’s in season, what the tides and conditions are etc etc.

We tend to have more rocks than beaches here, so grew up fishing rock marks.

Saying that, in terms of absolute biggest shore fish, ie circa 20lb conger, I’ve had them from both types of venue.

Not that I regard that as a particularly quality fish, I’d rather have a double bass, cod or 3lb sole lol

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
For me it's a mix. If a beach only throws up flats for a while I head to a different mark looking for variation. I wouldn't want to fish rocks all the time.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Now in recent months I've been asking about a few different areas and to be fair the advice has been sound. But I've been told by a few folks don't fish the beaches fish the rock marks. Now my question to all is have you put time into the beaches or have you just fish rock marks. I really enjoy clean ground fishing, I'm not a big fan of the rock marks even though I no they can produce. I've had some massive fish of clean beaches and honestly I can seem to drive past one to fish a rough mark. Thanks for reading
Jay c
Hi Jay, Catch 22, done both and enjoyed both. If you are happy catching fish from a beach and it seems like you caught some good ones from the beach then way change?. Some people have no choice of venues, and if you have to fish the rocks and you do well at it, but then you find they can't fish so well from the beach. Really is a confidence thing to try something different, go with someone who knows, and vice verse, that will help iron a lot of the problems, especially with tackle, tactics and tides, learn the ropes and you find another mark for options you can fish, while your clean beach is blowing off limits.

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
One advantage of rocks, generally, is that casting distance isn’t necessary as the fish are in the rough stuff in front of you.

The downside is you’ll lose a lot of leads and a few rigs too, even with rotten bottoms

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jay, Catch 22, done both and enjoyed both. If you are happy catching fish from a beach and it seems like you caught some good ones from the beach then way change?. Some people have no choice of venues, and if you have to fish the rocks and you do well at it, but then you find they can't fish so well from the beach. Really is a confidence thing to try something different, go with someone who knows, that will help iron a lot of the problems, especially with tackle, tactics and tides, learn the ropes and you find another mark for options you can fish, while your clean beach is blowing off limits.
It's defo a confidence thing man. And I have to travel to fish to good grounds mate. You will catch fish near me but it's only bits. I'm not massivley experienced when it comes to rock fishing.

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
It's defo a confidence thing man. And I have to travel to fish to good grounds mate. You will catch fish near me but it's only bits. I'm not massivley experienced when it comes to rock fishing.
Probably best to go with someone until you know a mark then, or at least check it out first, see where the tide floods, will waves break over it, what’s the best wind to fish it, can you get off again.

Best to suss our at low and try and observe the flood for awhile, you will be able to see where the tides reach and then you can figure out when to safely fish it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Jay c
I pretty much only fish rock marks for bigger fish, which I enjoy but I feel a lot of people get put off due to the waiting. Very few times targeting bigger fish from rocks is their consistent action when you have a big bait out. Rough ground is always quite a pain when it comes to gear. Fishing rough ground for cod off rocks/cliffs is always hard, not just because of the swells during winter but the temps losing gear and having to re-tie shock leaders/hooks are whatever is hard in the cold. I'll never forget the time I was fishing in was at least -10 degrees with windchill I could only really take my gloves off for about 1 min at a time even a puddle of seawater froze

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pretty much only fish rock marks for bigger fish, which I enjoy but I feel a lot of people get put off due to the waiting. Very few times targeting bigger fish from rocks is their consistent action when you have a big bait out. Rough ground is always quite a pain when it comes to gear. Fishing rough ground for cod off rocks/cliffs is always hard, not just because of the swells during winter but the temps losing gear and having to re-tie shock leaders/hooks are whatever is hard in the cold. I'll never forget the time I was fishing in was at least -10 degrees with windchill I could only really take my gloves off for about 1 min at a time even a puddle of seawater froze
I've had my rings freeze up on my rods with the cold before. I just don't know how to fish rough ground properly. I have float fished and lure fished but all I seem to do is lose gear when using my heavy beach rods. I don't know how you guys do it. It witchcraft lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had my rings freeze up on my rods with the cold before. I just don't know how to fish rough ground properly. I have float fished and lure fished but all I seem to do is lose gear when using my heavy beach rods. I don't know how you guys do it. It witchcraft lol
There are a couple tricks you can do to try and fish round marks
  • use "bendy hooks" if you use hooks that will relatively easy bend you can usually just bend them out of snags with 18lb+mono
  • use a rotten bottom setup, basically, use a piece of 12lb mono to tie between the rig and lead so you can just beak it off if stuck and use a rottom bottom clip for casting(personally I don't use this one as I prefer to try to get the lead back)
  • use heavy line, this one is not as got just use 40lb mono for 80lb braid and just pull until you hear something break
  • tailor your gear to rough ground (this is what I have done) because i fish mostly rough ground i have a very fast action rod with alot of power and have a high retrieve reel
There are others but those are the ones I consider,

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a pair of 525 mags on tronixpro envoy rods. I won't use my tt's on the rocks. I have been using Cox and rawle meat hooks. I would be better with a Aberdeen style hook. I don't get on with braid on my multipliers. Thanks for the help man. Much appreciated:thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a pair of 525 mags on tronixpro envoy rods. I won't use my tt's on the rocks. I have been using Cox and rawle meat hooks. I would be better with a Aberdeen style hook. I don't get on with braid on my multipliers. Thanks for the help man. Much appreciated:thumbsup:
trying to bend the meat hooks out, you'd be better using chains lol. Reels should be ok, I use a 515 mag2 and a sl20sh the hardest part is having to wind as quick as possible to get it off the seabed, once off you just need to wind at a moderate rate,glad i could help, where is it you have rough ground,might have been there

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I like vikings, they bend out well

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trying to bend the meat hooks out, you'd be better using chains lol. Reels should be ok, I use a 515 mag2 and a sl20sh the hardest part is having to wind as quick as possible to get it off the seabed, once off you just need to wind at a moderate rate,glad i could help, where is it you have rough ground,might have been there
Around Dunbar and mainly the east coast of scotland pal

·
Registered
172 Posts
trying to bend the meat hooks out, you'd be better using chains lol. Reels should be ok, I use a 515 mag2 and a sl20sh the hardest part is having to wind as quick as possible to get it off the seabed, once off you just need to wind at a moderate rate
trying to bend the meat hooks out, you'd be better using chains lol. Reels should be ok, I use a 515 mag2 and a sl20sh the hardest part is having to wind as quick as possible to get it off the seabed, once off you just need to wind at a moderate rate
Around Dunbar and mainly the east coast of scotland pal
I've fished the NE coast of Scotland a bit (my "local" cod fishing venue )and it's just about getting past the kelp beds if you can do that you're already halfway there, make sure the bait is pinned down so it doest drift into snags

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've fished the NE coast of Scotland a bit (my "local" cod fishing venue )and it's just about getting past the kelp beds if you can do that you're already halfway there, make sure the bait is pinned down so it doest drift into snags
I consider myself to be a better than average caster but somtsomet that can be a disadvantage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I consider myself to be a better than average caster but somtsomet that can be a disadvantage.
I mean fish can be in close sometimes there out far. Personally, I fish at a reasonable distance on the east coast you will never be in too deep water.I've never had tremendous luck fishing close in, That's just me though

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mean fish can be in close sometimes there out far. Personally, I fish at a reasonable distance on the east coast you will never be in too deep water.I've never had tremendous luck fishing close in, That's just me though
Agreed most of my better fish have come at range on clean beaches.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Although a blessing and a curse if weed is abundant is the humble lead lift, saved many of my rigs from becoming part of the ocean floor decor especially when fishing rough ground. Mind you most of the beach's I fish are clean sand with occasional sprinkle of rough pebble scars and they can produce well on the right tide and season.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts