World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Going to spend a week in mid Sept at Rowhedge right on the river. Never been there before so any tips would be welcome. Any where local i might get some bait ?. Is it to muddy to try lure fishing.

Cheers Bill

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi all. Going to spend a week in mid Sept at Rowhedge right on the river. Never been there before so any tips would be welcome. Any where local i might get some bait ?. Is it to muddy to try lure fishing.

Cheers Bill
Morning Bill, i fished Rowhedge years ago and caught flounders and eels. i fished on the grass next to the Anchor pub. I would cast out into the middle for eels and fish close in for the flounders. For bait i used Mackerel and as i dug bait for a living i would use gutted lug as well, Rag is always a favourite. As for Tackle shops the nearest would be Colchester bait and Tackle on Harwich Rd. Never tried lure fishing but if there are any schooly Bass about you never know. Anyway hope this gives you some idea. ............. Cheers Lofty

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Morning Bill, i fished Rowhedge years ago and caught flounders and eels. i fished on the grass next to the Anchor pub. I would cast out into the middle for eels and fish close in for the flounders. For bait i used Mackerel and as i dug bait for a living i would use gutted lug as well, Rag is always a favourite. As for Tackle shops the nearest would be Colchester bait and Tackle on Harwich Rd. Never tried lure fishing but if there are any schooly Bass about you never know. Anyway hope this gives you some idea. ............. Cheers Lofty
Morning Lofty. Thanks for the info. It will only be a few short fun sessions so here's hoping. Cheers Bill

·
Registered
188 Posts
Fish under the ferry pontoon if you want to get the bigger bass.
Put up when your down and I'll come and have a chat

Nutsy

·
Registered
95 Posts

Nutsy

Nutsy

Nutsy
Pleased you seemed to have enjoyed and caught, you never said what size and what was caught apart from some bass? and what bait etc you used ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Nutsy
HI Nutsyfish. THANKS ,is that using bait or lure for them there Bass.. Probably a few short sessions morning or early evenings depending on tides.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Biggest bass was 53cm on lures but some nice 40s and schoolies on rag worm not had nothing on lug or squid

Nutsy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Biggest bass was 53cm on lures but some nice 40s and schoolies on rag worm not had nothing on lug or squid

Nutsy
Hi. Spent two hours with the lure, on Sat, high-down,nothin. Have not been to the tackle shop yet so used freeze dried Rag and Squid all I had was a crab. Fished rising then falling tide fished all distances including the platform any tips on best state of tide etc

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry to hear you had no fish buddy.

I've always found 130hour before to high water fished best for the bass.

Mind you I've had nothing out since 3rd September, but still fish activity during darkness.

Nutsy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi. Well no fish despite trying almost everyday for a week. Well at least i got to try out my small new multiplier and new lure rod. Had great fun with them. Oh well off to East Mersea in 10 days for a short trip, see how i do there. Probably do a bit of fresh water and salt water fishing.
Bill

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi. Well no fish despite trying almost everyday for a week. Well at least i got to try out my small new multiplier and new lure rod. Had great fun with them. Oh well off to East Mersea in 10 days for a short trip, see how i do there. Probably do a bit of fresh water and salt water fishing.
Bill
Hi Bill at East Mersea the river mouth is deep water you only need to cast 30 -40 yards and you are in 20ft but casting distance is always best. If you get yourself opposite Batemans Tower on the opposite bank at Brightlingsea that always seemed to be the best spot. Fishing the flood only as trying to fish the Ebb the water goes out at a great rate of knots, normally stacks of weed, if you do fish the Ebb then i suggest moving round the corner to the front. Lug, mackerel would be the norm for this time of year. Lets just hope your luck is better here. .... Cheers Chris

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi. Thanks Chris. Will be staying at one of the Holiday camps so off the beach i guess. They have freshwater lakes so will take both sets of gear. They stock bait so no chasing around for it. Have fished Mersea in the past ,only luck was i hooked a Stingray, tackle was not up to it and was broken off yards form the shore.
Cheers Bill

·
Registered
188 Posts
Did you try to rowhedge at night?

Had some bass off the end of kingsland road last Sunday only one was of keepable size though, but was fun. At night though.

Nutsy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you try to rowhedge at night?

Had some bass off the end of kingsland road last Sunday only one was of keepable size though, but was fun. At night though.

Nutsy
Hi. No did not try at night, tide was wrong most of the time (To low) Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts