World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good topic :D

I think most imitations will catch fish, but it all comes down to confidence - the confidence the angler has in the lure. And that brings us to a catch 22 situation. You feel hard of using a lure until you catch a fish on it, but if it doesn't catch fish in the first few casts then the temptation is to switch to a tried and tested favourite (or is it just me?)

Anyway, FWIW - my favourites are fishtek sandeels, 6inch black

http://www.fishtek.co.uk/Jelltex/Sandeels.jsp

I recently purchased some Storm Wildeye Sandeels which look absolutely fantastic. I haven't given them a fair crack of the whip yet, but so far the fishtek sandeels are outfishing them.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
hi Dashshund

A lot of people like the rubber lures from companies like storm, tempest and other such companies because we know the catch fish or we have reports from other anglers that catch using them. They may be a little more expensive but you do get a nice product.. storm lures are from about £3.99 to £6.99. they come in lots of colours and styles, if they are the shad style the hook is already in place or they have a head with detachable bodies, still with the hook and a treble attachment. some have just the bodies and a couple of hooks with details on how to use them. they even now make a style of sandeel... that have caught some nice fish. There are still a lot of redgills used as they are well known to catch fish.

cheap can be good but until you use them you wont know.... be careful with some of the jellie ones keep them in a plastic bag... inside your tackle box? as they might eat holes in it..its some thing in the jellies that helps them set.

Hope this helps you in some way

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I will bet that you will catch fish with those eels. I have caught codling, pollock and coalfish with other types of jellies with those colours (except I have not tried a silver jelly before)

I use orange or black twin tails a lot, as they seem to be the best in my area (Aberdeenshire) but also had a lot of success with jelly worms (the fire tail kind) in blue, purple, black, red, brown and green, with glittery bits or without.

Strangley though, I have never caught anything with jelly shads in my area, and I have tried them a lot (but now given up)

As far as I can tell - there is nothing in the sea that even remotely looks like twin tail - yet they catch a lot of fish - so I guess the flapping tails and being pulled through the water at 4 miles per hour (or whatever) is all the fish needs to at least have a go at the strange looking thing - but by that time we have hopefully got em hooked.

Someone once said - "Most lures are designed to catch anglers, and not the fish"

This I do believe, and I try a lot of cheaper items, particularly in the snaggy areas where I live. I spoke to a guy recently who watched a guy lose 8 Rapala J13 lures in an afternoon trying to get a bass at Boddom power station near Peterhead. I think those things are about 7 or so quid each. Sod that in my opinion.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TRACEYS-TACKLE_W0QQssPageNameZVIStoreHeaderLinksQQtZkm?

The above ebay link sells the fishtek range of eels and shads - don't know if they are cheaper than the main fishtek website though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the replies guys, hlepful as ever. Will give my cheap uns a go, and also invest in a pack of fishtek. Anyone ever used their "weak link" system - looks quite snazzy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Watch out for the Fishtek types. You will need to store them individually as they will "Melt" themselves together. All Jelly worms should be stored in food grade containers. I normally use a Tupperware box (Or cheap alternative) but the fishtek ones me and a friend bought just ended up in a solid mess after a month.

Try the ribbed ones from Veals.

Bob

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Dachsund, I bet you will catch Pollack on the black ones, (black is deadly for Pollack) & Bass love silver/mother of pearl. I use the "Delta" Eel myself, & find those two colours most effective. I dont think you will have any problems catching on them, & I look forward to your progress with them.
blueskip

·
Banned
20 Posts
here is a tip
buy a tube of silicon sealer, smear some oil over a small sheet of glass, get silicon and sqirt it in strips let it set the presto you have rubber eels, i have used them all last year and next to fishtec i found them great. now you can get multi coloured silicons so can mix an match them

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
paul 1234 said:
here is a tip
buy a tube of silicon sealer, smear some oil over a small sheet of glass, get silicon and sqirt it in strips let it set the presto you have rubber eels, i have used them all last year and next to fishtec i found them great. now you can get multi coloured silicons so can mix an match them
Brilliant Idea.

I'll try that.

ps. I use these:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mikesfishing/Halographic Sandells.jpg

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Paul
Great idea - have you tried injecting the silicone into any sort of mold? Seems a gereat idea to me.

Mike
I have some of those, but never used them - how did you get on with them?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Have not used them yet...just got em off ebay £2 for 10 :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Ok Mike

I got some off Ebay too (Pendine Dave was the seller)

If I catch on them I'll let you know - I'll try them next time the boss lets me out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I tried some of 'them' last week - caught one small pollack. I always find that reel sandeel cannot be beaten at this time of year, so it was a nice surprise to catch something on it. During the same trip, real eel accounted for 4, and a black jelltek eel caught one other.

I do like the silicone idea !!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've used these from the rocks on Anglesey and have caught pollack and bass on them. The ones I use are Mister Twisters brought from US for me but I think Berkley make some good ones too. Rig them on jig heads of about half ounce, they work a treat. Lots of possibilities I reckon, the Americans have used them for years.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
The Bass trolling bait which has stood the test of time is the Red or White or Black Norwegian Eel which they still use out there as a jigging lure. It is not a 'tail-flapper' but relies entirely on the spin given by the fact that it's slightly bent!!! It came with a very heavy duty hook and swivel which meant it was durable when pulled through thick weed when you reached the end of stretch and started turning to start up the otherway!!. A similar shape but MUCH smaller, made from 1" and half, dark brown bicycle valve tubing was an absolute killer for Pollack AT NIGHT on a fly rod. You used a small long shanked hook which you bent ever so slightly before threading on the tubing. No tail flapping just spinning. The closest 'modern' spinner is the Flying C which of course has in-built casting weight, which I use as my first choice when it gets dark.

What ever happened to Devon Minnows? (and harpoons and .... dynamite and gill nets .......)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
"Devon Minnows" Are one of the Classics. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Devon minnows
now that is a real Classic....

any one still hang there red gills to stop the tails from getting bent out of shape?

or the white plastic cups from vending machines when the ferrys first installed them? everyone went crazy using them to catch cod?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
bassbites said:
or the white plastic cups from vending machines when the ferrys first installed them? everyone went crazy using them to catch cod?

How you get a cod in a plastic cup m8? can't have been much size :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts