World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Anyone got any good suppliers of fish oil to be used in rubby dubby mixes? Minimum 5l.</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Best suggestion I can make is to blag some used oil from a chip shop or catering estabishment.It is sent back &nbsp;in 5 gallon drums for recycling as the water content rises etc. Or buy some cheapest cooking oil from a supermarket like Lidl or Aldi. Add a bottle or two of Pilchard oil.Fish are probably like sharks and are incredibly sensitive to attractants something like one drop of blood in a swimming pool or suchlike. And/or marinade a few chopped up mackerel in it.</font>

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for that. I&#39;ll give it a try if I can&#39;t track down larger quantities of fish oil.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi fish force, I got some pilchard oil from Decathlon sports in Stockport about £3 for a 1 litre bottle I think it was.</font>

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>Cheers, I tracked down "shark special oil" + "concentrated sardine oil", both around £3/lt, from sharnbrook tackle but I know it is available in larger quantities - somewhere.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font color='#000000'>how much rubby dubby do you need? What are you trying to catch??

Maybe you need to contact a big game fisherman, he&#39;d use buckets of the stuff per trip I guess.</font>

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000000'>We use it for sharking, but at this time of year I make up large quantities and freeze it down. This means no messing around trying to catch mackerel, all we need are a few baits and we&#39;re ready to fish. I used to get 5l containers for £6.50 but that source has dried up.</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Can you freeze oil &nbsp;into a solid block ? &nbsp;Must have a #### of a freezer. I know tank oil froze on the Eastern Front.Or is this just to preserve it.</font>

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font color='#000000'>Think how oily a mackerel is and they freeze ok. Freezer&#39;s at -26 and all is fine. Went out today to collect some mackerel but it has slowed up a bit. Small tide though and not much else biting, 1 pollock about 4kl and a few very small codling.</font>

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
<font color='#000000'>After a good mackerel-bash keep the heads & guts & freeze. Likewise any old unused bait. Once slightly defrosted they&#39;ll go through a decent mincer easily without gallons of mess everywhere. Stir in some cheap cooking oil, leave to fester for a few hours then re-freeze, in handy dollops. Looks disgusting (a bit like cat spew) but does the job.

If winter beach-fishing for whiting, take some with you & at LW bury a few small "portions" 6 inches down in the sand in a line back up the beach to maybe 50yds out from HWM if you&#39;re staying till then. The surf churns up the sand to this depth & releases it as clouds of small particles. Deadly for whiting, unfortunately more so for dogfish. Using this trick I had 25 of each in a 3-hr flood-tide session at Tywyn a few years back, didn&#39;t even have time to stop & roll a fag&#33;

Cheers - John</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts