World Sea Fishing Forums banner
2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  gljnr1983 
#1 · (Edited)
Alchitibuie, Altandhu & the summer Isles

What with 1 thing and another I’ve not been fishing since an afternoon in the rain back in May. Having had a week booked off to get the house sorted for a while I managed to get a few bits done before the week off so we (the LHG and I) booked a last minute camping trip to Altandhu up on the Rubha Mor Peninsula, in the Achiltibuie area on the West coast of the Scotish highlands. (About 20 miles North of Ullapool). Having looked at the weather before we set off, n apart from a few showers predicted it looked an ok 4 days. After setting up camp we took the short drive to Achiltibuie pier to have a look what the venue was like. As we arrived there were a couple of old boys fluff chucking a pulling a few out.

The pier has been fenced off due to idiots driving on there, so it was a quick scramble over the fence, set the trusty travel rod up and discover I’d not brought any bloody feathers with me from home :crazy: Not to be deterred I set about in my box and quickly knocked up a 2 hook simple rig and wrapped some cloth around the hooks and I was away. Well I thought I was, 1st cast I forgot the bail arm (I’m a multi man) and lost my home made feathers. It wasn’t going well :banghead: as I’m sure you can imagine. The 2 old boys must have though “look at this kid all the gear no ‘kin idea” Having seen me lose my home made rig the old boys came to my rescue and offered me a set of feathers to use of which again I lost 1st cast due to a wind loop. :dumb: The only thing that kept me from throwing the lot in was the fact the old boys had now left and I was determined to gram some tea. So again a quick rig made and I found 2 bits of a really old jelly worm, which worked and I soon had a couple of fresh mackerel for my tea :yeah2: :cheer: ;D.
My next session on the pier was a little more productive. Having visited the village stores in Achiltibuie (which is full of everything you need) I headed back to the pier armed with feathers and a bottle of lug I’d dug from the beach in front of the tent.
Plan was to catch some fresh mackerel to use as bait at various distances and use the lug on a float by the pier.
I tried all sorts out at distance but all I managed were pin whiting (live bait) and the odd small pollack. On the float, however things were a little different.
First out were a few ballan wrasse

Then a nice little coal fish or 2 followed by a lovely Rock cook I think

Then a bonus red cod

I was kept very busy under the pier.

The other venue I fished was only a 5 minute walk from the tent on some rocks which dropped off into deeper water. Again it was the same here loads of fun Hand lining with the float ( I only took 1 rod lol).
The highlight of the 2 hr session was this beauty of a short spined sea scorpion

It came in at 12 Oz the biggest I’ve caught and seen in this country.

Here’s a short video, stick with it till the end and see if you can let me know what they were.

If you want to see more videos just click subscribe, It’s not spam, and when I post a video you will be notified. You can also have a look at my other videos.
Cheers for reading.

Big Col

See less See more
1 6
#7 ·
great report and cracking photo's. nice colours on the rock cook eh? any idea yet, what the fish were in the video?
cheers, tommy

Reactions: M.I.B.
#12 ·
Well in. What a mark looms awesome

Reactions: Bigbadcol
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.