World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, thanks for all your help on my previous post in this forum (improving pulleys etc.) it really has made a difference to my fishing in the last few weeks, regular big bites and 75% hook ups, loads more fish on the bank.

There is talk now of the summer species, as the Cod season fades out, also talk of running leger rigs etc. etc.

I have trawled through all previous posts on WSF and gained many answers to my questions on the running leger, for example - a running leger by it's nature should be running to allow the fish to run with the bait before feeling any resistance (drag off on reel etc.)

But when would you be compelled to use it?

For what species?

What rig components would you use to create the best rig?

I assume as the rig is running and you have a bow of line, or the reel is lightly set on drag, braid would make little difference to the concept?

Any other hints and tips please!!

Cheers lads, Nick. :g:

G

·
I don't know what others would do but for me a running ledger would be Swivel link/clip onto the shockleader (attach weight to this clip); bead; Swivel; snood; hook/penel depending on bait size and targeted fish. Keep it simple!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Depending on what type of fidhing you do i find this rig best for Conger and Bass fishing from the shore and uptiding from the boat. Rigging up is simple.
Take your main ine and thread onto it either a Mustad/Kiddy/Ashpole zipslider. The Red Ashpole ones are best and only 50p for 2.
Then add a large Mustad Rubber shock bead (£1.20 for 25).
Tie this to a good qulity swivvel such as a sz 6 Mustad or 80ld Berkley (if you like you could tie a genie clip to your mainline and clip the swivvel on).
Next add the snood of around 3-4ft (shorter in faster flowing tides) You will need 150ld for Conger and Huss, but 40ld usually covers it on the boat for Rays and Cod.
To the snood tie on your chosen hook (anything between a 2/0 and a 10/0).
Finally add on a suitable lead and away you go.
There you have it easy!
NOTE: Traces can be made up and the zip slider bead and genie link left on the rod so that all you do is clip up your trace when you go out, a good idea when the sea is choppy as you dont have to take your eyes off the sea for long.

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Could we have some pics of rigs to help us out,,,, ??

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Could we have some pics of rigs to help us out,,,, ??
A basic running ledger........

Hook length........i like at least 4/5 foot.
The reason behind the rig is supposedly to keep the fish from feeling the weight. This is obviously pointless unless the main line has some slack in it as the rod tip would have more resistance its self!
Also another purpose is to nail the bait to the bottom . Its probably the best allround rig....catching almost anything.
Best for rays, bass, flatties.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
for casting - you can take the hook snood up and over an upside down bait clip and clip the hook as usual just above sinker

i combine this with a standard clipped top hook+ pop-ups like a slice of wine cork - gives a cod/ray bottom and a off the bottom top

you'll work it out:secret:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
for casting - you can take the hook snood up and over an upside down bait clip and clip the hook as usual just above sinker

i combine this with a standard clipped top hook+ pop-ups like a slice of wine cork - gives a cod/ray bottom and a off the bottom top

you'll work it out:secret:
Agreed, the running ledger as it is, is awful for casting any distance as the hook end will spin in mid flight and you wont get any distance especially with a large bait.
If distance casting, keep the bait above the weight always!
Half the time though.....dont cast far! No need!

·
12,629 Posts
Thanks for that.... i started to make my own. but i usually go and buy one so that i can copy it, just thought if we had a section on the forum with different types it would be easier for people like me,,, i hear talk about different kinds, i know nothing about, so i end up going to the tackle shop to look ,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Only one running ledger! Its probably the best rig of all as an all rounder.
Like i say, you only have to alter the hook size for different fish and you always have a rig that would catch the one you want!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't know what others would do but for me a running ledger would be Swivel link/clip onto the shockleader (attach weight to this clip); bead; Swivel; snood; hook/penel depending on bait size and targeted fish. Keep it simple!
Too right! No need for zip sliders. The less you use, the less you lose if fishing mixed/rough ground. As others have said, if you don't need mega-distance casts the running ledger is the best and simplest all-rounder setup. I use it almost every time when bottom fishing. If using a longish hooklength and a grip lead you can hang your baited hook on one of the grip wires prior to casting to keep it from snagging. It comes free once the cast is under way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice diagram Solehunter, I will use that set up for my rigs.

But when would you guys use a running leger over a paternoster set up???

When do you decide ' today I'm gonna fish a running leger because that's gonna catch fish ' ???

In John Holdens book he mentions both paternoster and running leger set ups, and that each has it's day, but fails to explain 'why' each has it's day.

Can you help on this one?

·
Registered
24,912 Posts

When do you decide ' today I'm gonna fish a running leger because that's gonna catch fish ' ???

In John Holdens book he mentions both paternoster and running leger set ups, and that each has it's day, but fails to explain 'why' each has it's day.

:idea:
:kissing: Buy his next book for the explanation :icecream: :bleh:

David

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Good question...........
Its a good rig to use on fish that are easily spooked. The main idea is the bait is on a long snood and the fish would have time to gulp the bait down before it feels resistance.
Also it holds the bait on the bottom better than any other rig especially if you are on a pier, boat or wall.
Unless you let out a lot of line or you cast up tide the paternoster would be off the bottom if fishing from high up.
Another good time to use it is if you are ray fishing as it keeps the bait away from the grip lead so a ray can settle on the bait without being spooked by the sharp grips!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Solehunter, thank you, makes sense! will get my head around this and probably be back again with more questions if you don't mind?

To me it's very important to totally understand the rigs and concepts before you chuck whatever out, as time 'in the sea' is limited for me!!!

Would a long snooded loop (portsmouth) rig not work in these circumstances? I assumed the fish actually needed to take the bait away before eating and swallowing / hooking them?

As the loop is a fixed bolt rig set up and not a running set up.

·
12,629 Posts
Good reading solehunter,,, you explain things so easily,,,,,

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Solehunter, thank you, makes sense! will get my head around this and probably be back again with more questions if you don't mind?

To me it's very important to totally understand the rigs and concepts before you chuck whatever out, as time 'in the sea' is limited for me!!!

Would a long snooded loop (portsmouth) rig not work in these circumstances? I assumed the fish actually needed to take the bait away before eating and swallowing / hooking them?

As the loop is a fixed bolt rig set up and not a running set up.
It`s all trial and error really mate, some fish will be hooked better on short snoods. In fact many match fishermen will change snood lengths many times to see what ones are working better that day!
Sorry but i`m not familiar with the pompey rig.

Good reading solehunter,,, you explain things so easily,,,,,
Try telling that to my solicitor heh heh:schmoll: :g: :g:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The loop rig is altogether a far more complexed multi hook set up for longer range, 'clipped' down match fishing. Perhaps the question you should ask is ''What type of rig is suitable for the type of fishing i am doing?'' If you post what type of fishing; venue, ground, species and bait you will most likely doing then i will be able to answer your question more appropriatley. The more detail such as distance and size of weight used then the better idea of what type of rig would suit your style of fishing the best i can get. Try to answer these as best you can then i can make more suggestions. I will help make recommendations and instruct you how best to tie the rig, i may even send you a rig i have tied to give you an idea of the pattern. Hopefully this is of more use to you?

·
Registered
741 Posts
i generally have my mainline tied to a swivel or a leader then swivel, depends on mainline strength, tie on a hooklength then a hook or pennel and i'm done , nothing fancy.

although a goods comprimise would be a long and low running rig. see here

http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/153/ARTICLE/1284/2006-06-18.html

but instead of crimping the hooklength thread a lead link onto the backbone, a bead as a shock absorber, and then a strong swivel to which the hooklength is attached.

therefore baits are presented away from the lead, but there is little resistance untill the fish moves away and the lead traps against the top swivel

·
Banned
115 Posts
Hi Nick,

Still thinking about those rigs I see? The big problem with long traced running legers for shore fishing is that they are crap to cast. The uptide boys tend to use nothing else though. For close range bassing I prefer a running paternoster with a hook length of about 2', married to a paternoster link that allows the bait to rest by the lead when you cast.

I find this very effective, but don't ask me why, sometimes you just have to accept that something works. This set-up has produced two double figure bass and two nine pounders for me during a couple of 5 day trips to the Isle of Wight in 1997. Of more interest to you, perhaps, is I had a 7lb 8oz bass on it the first time I tried it in a gulley 20 yards out at Sand Point during 2004.

Be lucky m8, T.

P.s. Hope to be down the channel for more of those 'nuisance' (per Rod Carter) 8lb male thornies before too long.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In my last 'stella' post I confused the issue by mentioning the loop rig (a variation of the '' long and low'' but with upper Paternoster snood)

RE: Solehunters quote.....
Another good time to use it is if you are ray fishing as it keeps the bait away from the grip lead so a ray can settle on the bait without being spooked by the sharp grips!

The reason I mentioned the Loop (I think!) was that the bottom snood on a loop or long and low, keeps the anchored bait on the bottom on a long trace (away from the lead) away from the RAYS wings etc.

But when use a RUNNING leger?

What species fondles the bait and moves away (before felling resistance) then takes the bait before a hook up??

In the fast flowing tides of the Bristol Channel shore fishing I doubt I can give any free line to make the process work (running leger) as the tide will take the free line and the fish will register the tip.

Think I will stick to my bog standard flapper and bombers for the summer!!!!

Prof T, great to hear from you again, PM when you are down this way, be great to meet up, Nick.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts