World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , does anyone know if there is a boat launching facility at runswick bay??

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's a case of using your own vehicle & there are two slips onto the beach, you can see them on google maps. The one straight down by the lifeboat station is quite steep & as the tide drops could be over rock depending on tide state (not been for a while & the sand shifts around). The second slip not as steep is of to the right & at right angles to the beach behind the sea wall. There's barrier across the top which may be locked (not sure if they've given up with it or not as it's been open last few times I've been down). The bottom of this slip there can be a bit of a hole that fills but again depends on how the tides moved the sand around. Unless you are only intending to be out over bottom tide it is NOT safe to think you can leave your car & trailer at the top of the beach. As a safety margin once you get to about half tide the water will reach up to the sea wall. If I were beach launching there I'd drop the boat in & take the car & trailer back up to the car park. It might cost a few quid but at least you have peace of mind knowing you car won't be flooded when you get back. I've seen a few pictures of cars & 4x4's almost submerged when owners thought it safe to leave them at the top of the beach.
It's only a shallow beach so depending on your boat set up you might need to push it out a fair distance to launch. Personally if I were you I'd go to Whitby & pay the £23 (it's a few pence under I think for launching & parking per day), it's safer & easier. There's a good wide slip that's accessible for all but 2 hours either side of low, being in the upper harbour there's no wave problem if the onshore breeze gets up. It takes me about 15 to 20 mins to motor from Whitby piers to just off Runswick doing a modest 15 to 18 knts.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bob, many thanks for such a detailed reply , much appreciated. Yes I was thinking about Whitby but what do you reckon about the weather for tomorrow. I would probably just go left out of the piers and fish around upgang until I was a bit more confident. Cheers Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
Depends what boat you have & experience, looks about 10mph Southerly getting up to about 15mph SE (https://www.windy.com/54.494/-0.630?54.493,-0.630,16 handy site for wind speed). With high water around 06.45 & low about 13.00 I'd be tempted to run towards Sandsend/Kettleness First thing and fish my way back before the wind strengthens. May get a little lumpy, if I remember right when the tide turns to come back wind & tide should be together so shouldn't be to bad of a lump on. You don't need to go to far out I usually look for about 60ft coming up to round 20ft over the lumps especially around Kettleness. The only thing for me is the difference between high & low is over 4m in my experience I found less than 3m fished better as less tide strength you can keep a bait near the bottom longer & don't drift as fast. Last couple of times I've been in Whitby I noticed pleasure boats fishing out to the left & about level with the bouy. It's a few years since I fished close in round Upgang at anchor, picked up the odd red cod & an assortment of small fish but the ground was very tackle hungry.
Good luck if you go & I'd be interested in how you get on.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks once again Bob, good of you to take the time giving your advice . I’ve got a 15ft open seaswift 435 with a 20 hp tohatsu on the back and a 4hp mariner back up. I thought the tide might of been a tad big so I’m opting for the west coast and going out of Fleetwood. When the weather is more settled I’ll come over for a couple of days. Thanks once again Bob much appreciated. I’ll be in touch when I’m thinking of coming over

1 - 6 of 6 Posts