World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you finish a session on the beach or rocks, you then put your trace's in your rig wallet what is the best way to stop your hook's rusting, or is there a hook that doe's not rust.?

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
is there a hook that doe's not rust.?
Yes. Only problem is if you deep hook a fish and have to cut the line, a normal wire hook will rust away in a few weeks and the fish will be ok. Stainless hooks will stay there for ages and the fish will suffer.

I never use a hook more that once, but if you do, try not to put it in with new hooks or they will all rust.

Good thread. Any more thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Only way to stop hooks rusting? .........Don't get them wet :) Seriously though try spraying some WD40 in the wallet pockets. Has the added bonus that some peole think it's a fish attractant.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

Wash them in warm soapy water and thoroughly dry them. Check the point and resharpen if necessary.

You should be able to get a few outings from the one hook. On the oher hand if you use cheap hooks then use once and throw away.

Cheers

Drew

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
i tend to use them once and throw them away but make sure that ther go home with me and are disposed of in a container and put in the bin. I only mention this as there have been a couple of articles in the local rags down here about dogs that have eaten and impaled themselves.In one article I recall the owner of the dog stated "I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DID THIS . THEY WOULDNT LEAVE SUCH LEATHAL ITEMS AROUND THEIR HOUSE`S! IT`S SEEMS LIKE THEY WERE LEFT THERE ON PURPOSE.

The article didnt state where the dog was when it ate the hook (if above or below the tide line or even on a pathway) but added a pic of a simular looking trace (it was a pennel rig inc silicone tubing with what seemed to be 2x2/0 aberdeens.

Just adds more fuel to the anti`s and sells more papers

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Big Dee

Good advice. I snip the hooks at the bend with my pliers just for good measure.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Seem to remember someone saying something about giving your hooks in your box a dusting with talc, this is supposed to stop them rusting :confused: dunno if it works aint got around to trying it.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
shame things like this happen - the only thing we can do no to give the anti's fuel is to be as responsible as we can regarding litter.

Also try remember that people us our coastline; beaches, piers, promenades, whatever after us anglers have gone home.

I hava small dog and wouldn't like my dog to get caught on a hook while on the beach or even worse one of my little girls :(

Oh and regards to the hook thingy - I use 'em once then discard them (properly)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
bigdunny said:
Seem to remember someone saying something about giving your hooks in your box a dusting with talc, this is supposed to stop them rusting :confused: dunno if it works aint got around to trying it.

Won't stop them rusting but it does make them lovely and soft. I use 'em till they are too rusty then put them in a crushed beer can and in the bin.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
In Florida on my first charter trip the skipper filled a bucket with fresh water before we left the dock. I wondered what it was for, found out on the first change of lure. The used lure was dropped in the bucket and left there in fresh water till we finished fishing. The decky took the lures and traces with hooks on and hooked them into a bit of pipelagging on one of the side rails. They were dry in a few mins and put away for the following charter.

I thought it was a cracking idea and do the same myself since Thinking about it it is the salt on the metal which attracts water causing rust, get the salt off and dry them, no more rust.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Rusty hooks? I think they're a bit like old golf balls. I never have any of them, they all get lost so easily!

Seriously I don't throw hooks away unless they are bent or beyond sharpening, and never on the beach. When I'm putting rigs back in the sleeve, every hook is dried on a towel (always got one with me to wipe my hands - not particular about my appearance but my wife got sick of the smell in the car when I just used to wipe my hands on my coat sleeves (remember wiping your nose when you were kid?) I use Ultrabite so the smell's 'memorable' to say the least. (I really like the old green (?) jacket but now have to chain it up in the garage - keeps the cats away though!)

Back to the hooks! Never use so called 'rustless' hooks but have a dislike of the thin wire ones which bend when you're into a snag. Understand the principal (bent hook pulls out, rather than losing rig) but wonder if a decent fish would bend the hook as well!!! I love the shape/size of the Mustad Bass hook but they now seem SO soft! I very rarely sharpen hooks (only the few very large (6/0) I have, so inevitably chuck hooks away together with the snood as this is the weak link. Can't say I do this every time but if I notice damage when taking down rigs then I do make a mental note (mind you the poor thing has to take it's chances in amongst the ageing grey-matter, and inevitably sinks down into near oblivion in the disordered morass, until I next go fishing. Then the poor note jumps up, remembers what it was made for, and screams out, "Replace me!!!" The wisest course of action would be to have a routine that changes hooks/snoods every time, but people like that have my undying admiration!

Bet they have tidy garages and spotless cars as well!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Make sure you get the hook totally clean and dry, best washing it in fresh water when you get home.

Nothing rusts a hook quicker than the remains of your bait, particularly ragworm juices.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
joe roberts said:
when you finish a session on the beach or rocks, you then put your trace's in your rig wallet what is the best way to stop your hook's rusting, or is there a hook that doe's not rust.?
Joe,

Hooks get binned after a one tide day session if a two tide day session i will use them again after checking for rust (then if rust is showing I will replace them). Bobs Nudds column in the NoW suggestted putting a grain of rice in the hook compartment. Might try the silca gel you get in new trainers. Any ideas or suggestions?

Woodster

PS. Good forum to start Joe

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when i disgard old hook's i melt the ends of with a plumers gas blazer gun then there ok to go in the bin.(and this is my100th post no im hard core).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts