World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of trying to get on one of these course's .
has anyone else done one of these course's and do you need to take along extra equipment for the navigating bit.

I'm doing it as I'm playing around with the idea of going in to charter work and need to pass this one and advanced one plus first aid and a vhf coarse.and this just to play around with the idea ....

plus it good to be safe at sea.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I did the 2 day RYA level 2 course last year, best thing you can do, expert advise and information backed up with 4 hours a day on the water testing your new found knowledge, I don't know if it reduces your insurance costs, but it should. The cost of around £100 a day might seem high, but you will get so much from it, plus you can apply for your European certificate, should you want to take your boat abroad ( compuklsory over there. )
All you need is a pen and pad to make notes, they issue everything you need. good luck.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on a bout taking it 2 steps further.

Ive booked a rya first aid coarse and i am looking in to booking the vhf radio coarse. then the intermediate coarse and the advanced training be for taking the skipper assessment.

rya corase

·
Registered
701 Posts
You didn't say if you have done the level 2 course yet, the Powerboat Log I got with my level 2 course gives details of the intermediate course, and it takes it to the next stage, on level 2 you do basic navigation and chart work, Intermediate appears to based around Navigation and charts. No course involving safety is wasted, but I believe the intermediate is a stepping stone to Day Skipper, all charter Skippers must have this now. The VHF course should be like insurance, compulsory, it's no big deal to do, but worth it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did level 2 the other week and got my ICC plus the VHF licence. All reasonably easy. The Intermediate course is a bit more professional and is i think two days with a lot of navigation/GPS work.The Advanced is the big one with night passages and rough weather handling. These are run in the Winter so the weather is less forgiving so a drysuit would be good!.The course organiser will advise what equipment you will need but you should have the basic navigation tools for chart work. They will also advise what books to read. For advanced you need Day skipper navigation standard and as you say First Aid.

I did my course at Southampton and will go back to get to Advanced level hopefully end of this year. I am not very good on the navigation but who is?

I just want to feel i can handle all the conditions i could end up in especially in the Winter months.

On a side note, i see another death on a jet ski in Cyprus. No training is required but i reckon that will change pretty soon.

Freddy

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Become a member of your local Sea Cadet Corps (they are always looking for volunteers over 18) and you can go on any course then for a lot less if not nowt.
I got my Powerboat Safety boat qualification, and being a Petty Officer i even got paid for doing it. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts