World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first trip out to the wrecks this year on Sea Mistress. The forecast was for force 3-4 South Westerlies which is more or less how it turned out. We left Rye at just after 8am in a thick mist to our first wreck on the Bassurelle Banks on the French side of the shipping channel. Crew today were regular Raymondo94B and Flounder2 (Darren). After about 45 minutes we sent down our Shads in 145ft of water and immediately Ray was into a cod of 5lb 2oz. What a start we thought, we are in for a good day. Unfortunately no more fish came to the boat from that wreck although aq couple were lost. We moved about 4 miles to another where I caught a Pollack of 5lb 9oz again on a shad. Ray lost a big fish that must have been in double figures just before it reached the surface and Darren still had nothing. We had a few drifts and then moved another 3 miles back towards Dungeness fishing a wreck on the edge of the shipping channel. It was still foggy so we had to keep a keen eye out for ships. It was at this wreck that Darren had a cod of about 4lb and I had my first Bass of the year. Not a big one but good to see.
After trying another few inshore wrecks with no fish landed but a few more lost we headed over to the same spot where we had some Plaice this time last year off Winchelsea. After a slow start we suddenly started catching. I had a double hook up of fish about 1lb in weight, Ray had a few and Darren got a couple.
By now it was turning into a nice evening, the wind had dropped, the sun came out and we fished relatively comfortably for the last hour before it was time to leave for home.
We got back into Rye at about 7.30. All in all a satisfactory but not brilliant start to the year, but it still a few weeks before the wrecking gets into full swing on this part of the coast.
A few pictures are below

Ray with his cod

My Pollack

Darren with his Codling

My first Bass of the year

Ray with the first Plaice

My Plaice double

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Nice one lads, shame about the ones that got away.
Tried a couple of wrecks myself yesterday 15 miles off Brighton and lost a good cod, managed a few pollack to 7 lb and plotted 2 wrecks i hadn`t been to before so wasn`t a wasted trip .
Hows the autopilot working?

Alan

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one lads, shame about the ones that got away.
Tried a couple of wrecks myself yesterday 15 miles off Brighton and lost a good cod, managed a few pollock to 7 lb and plotted 2 wrecks i hadn`t been to before so wasn`t a wasted trip .
Hows the autopilot working?

Alan
I wish you hadn't asked that:yucky: . I put it on Autolearn exactly as the instructions said. We should have zig-zagged for a couple of hundred yards while it ran through the test procedure. What happened?... We went round and round in ever decreasing circles until we felt dizzy:yucky: . Obviously something is not right and I will phone around in the morning to find out what.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I wish you hadn't asked that:yucky: . I put it on Autolearn exactly as the instructions said. We should have zig-zagged for a couple of hundred yards while it ran through the test procedure. What happened?... We went round and round in ever decreasing circles until we felt dizzy:yucky: . Obviously something is not right and I will phone around in the morning to find out what.
Why am i not suprised ?? :whistling
You didn`t really think it was going to work, did you ?:doh:
Lets hope he dosn`t say "bring it back" !!!!

Alan

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a strong suspicion that it could be due to not being bled properly. There are pockets of air in the hydraulic pipes and I guess that once the steering turns one way to start the zig-zag the air enters the pump and it can not turn the other way! Maybe someone could give an idea whether I could be right.

15,082 Posts
Terry the setup procedure for the compass ib that you normally set the boat to go around in a circle until you get a ''pass''from the unit.
We had a ''Roker''day today.Will post on Sunday as Im off for a few days now.

Ron

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like a good trip, nice to get a good variety of species within a day.

I reckon those 'Plaice' are flounders though, but could be wrong.....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a good trip, nice to get a good variety of species within a day.

I reckon those 'Plaice' are flounders though, but could be wrong.....
The angle of the fish in the pics does not show the orange spots very well, but they were quite clearly marked.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Terry

Thanks for a great day out - shame about not being able to sink the boat due to the weight of fish caught, but I had a great time anyway. Good to meet both of you - your stories are safe with me!!!

I have just recovered from going round and round in circles, but my body aches like hell! :cry: Hot bath tonight!

Thanks once again.

PS if anyone lives near Terry and fishes Minnis Bay/ Herne Bay / Sandwich / Deal, would you be kind enough to pick up my waterproofs from him and meet me?

Cheers

Darren

·
Registered
182 Posts
Terry - not a bad start to the year at all. Can't wait for a few weeks time when we're out with you. Those Maxi-flex Sand Eels have arrived - they look the business. I'll bring them along with me.

Matt

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
nice one terry,,agood days fishing out ,,,and good pictures too TIGHT LINES

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Good fishing there Terry. Wish i would have come now! LOL

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Terry,

Glad you had a good trip - looks like you missed the heavy hail showers that hammered the roof of my office yesterday (when my mind was really in the channel with you guys!). Great pictures by the way and you all caught so a everyone gets to smile!

looking forward to seeing you on the 13th (Newhaven) & to the trip at the end of May.

Best wishes, Mick.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Apparently, that isn't bird muck on Terry's leg, but I can definately tell you that it is plaice muck on Ray's leg:D That plaice got a good telling off!:nono:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
From the look of your double, you are not really a bead fan Cascars;) Like you I reckon the more beads & the bigger the "ironwork" you have on your trace, the greater the catch, yet the bigger ones seem to come to plain snoods, weird that!:giveup:
blueskip

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have always had more success with beads than without and have not noticed a difference in size when others on the boat have not used them.
Why is it though that only one fish was lip hooked, all of the others took the hook too far down to get it out without killing the fish? I was using 2/0 fine wire aberdeens to try and minimise this but it still happened despite hitting them at the first sign of a bite. Most of the flatties were returned still with the hook in them in the hope that they would dissolve but I dont like doing that.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Terry

Well done for cruising the channel mate. It can be hard work findig the fish, but you kept at it and it paid off!
Had a tough day myself today, but again we did "alright", but a real slog.

Tom

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nice one terry,

can't wait till wednesday when me and some mates are out off newhaven.i just hope the wind's kind to us:unsure: .....dave.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts