World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont normally use shockleader but i have decreased my line to 15lb, i have tied it onto the mainline and left about 7metres of shockleader on the end, do i tie my rig onto the leader which would be 15lb mainline or use the leader as my rig?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can the rig be made out of the 15lb line i use for my mainline?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
i would recommend making the shcokleader a couple of metres smaller, and then useuse the same shock leader strength as the main rig body.

However if fishing light, ie on estuary dont worry about shock as u wont need it.

hope this helps,
kelvin

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry i dont really understand, put the shockleader on, ill make it smaller, then to that tie the rig which is made up of shockleader or the 15lb mainline that is on the reel?

Sorry im thick!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Localfisher,

My suggestion would be to tie a Gemini Link to the end of your shockleader. All your traces should be fitted with a swivel at one end which should be attached to the Gemini link. This way you can change your traces as and when without wasting time.

I normally use a Paternoster rig with 50/60lb clear mono for my trace body with 20lb clear hook snoods. This should be taken as a guide only as your traces should be altered dependining on what fish you are targeting.

The Sea Angler book: Step by Step Guide to Bait and Rigs (£8) is an excellent book, it gives traces and rigs for all types of sea angling. The other way is to purchase a few rigs from a dealer and copy them.

In time you will have a rig wallet full of home made traces to cope with all occasions. Catching a fish for the first time on a home made trace is a dream come tue.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
50 Posts
wot i do is tie shock leader to main line then reel it in till u have about 5 turns on the reel (of shock leader) and it goes the lenght of the rod plus about 1 and a half foot hanging down from tip of rod. the rigs i make have shock leader as main line and 15-20lb breaking strain line snoods.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers guys, oh and drew i have the book - wicked

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Local Dont Put 15 Lb Line Onto Your Shockleader That Is Defeating The Object. It Sounds Like That Is Wot U Were Thinking,, Only Have 15lb On Your Reel, Then Nothing Smaller Than Your Shockleader Attatched 2 That. Even Your Rigs Should B Shock , But Not Snoods..

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Whatever configuration you may have as your end trace is only important to you! What is important to everybody around you is that from the 5 turns on your reel to your WEIGHT is 40/50lb line! If you want to have a 25ft running leger of 3lb breaking strain BEYOND your weight is up to you, but from REEL to WEIGHT wants to be all shock leader of 40/50lb, hope this clarifies things for you.
blueskip

·
Registered
208 Posts
The guys fishing close to you won't be impressed if you only use the 15lb main line as your weight will snap off and hit them in the head, that normaly gets them nasty. As a guide use 10lb of shockleader per an oz of weight, i noramly use 5 oz weights and a 60lb shockleader, that seems to be the norm. doggy

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi Guys Just another thought on strong shock leaders is that if your beach fishing and have an accident by hitting a passer by through a snap off etc you will leave yourself open to a large insurance claim, (thats the way things are these days) "are you insured?" If not think about joining the N.F.S.A. the insurance you will get is worth every penny of the joining fee on it's own.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
yes as long as u av the weight connected 2 your shockleader is wot i meant. thanku blue skip, u wouldnt want a 50z weight on 15 lb line would u..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts