World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, a friend and I are considering investing in a small boat to try and enjoy some inshore fishing. However,coming from about as far inland as is possible we are somewhat green when it comes to 'the knowlege' regarding what makes a sound purchase of boat and engine and what doesn't. We are also very keen to survive as many trips as is possible so wish to pay equal attention to making sure we put to sea safely and do not endanger ourselves or others. So I wondered if people would be so kind as to give me some pointers as to boat buying and safety essentials?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Huge subject, and well covered on this forum if you try a few searches. Have a look at www.boat-angling.co.uk and follow the link on the home page to the free safety DVD from the RNLI. Then go to the Boat Equipment page and download the Safety Equipment Guide. But best of all, try and find someone who has a boat and has been boating for years, and get some first-hand advice. Or go down to a sea angling boat club, hang around and chat to people and find out from them, it is best to see and hear as well as read up. Finally, it will cost more than twice what you expect so make sure there is a bit extra in the kitty, and also make sure you like it by going out in someone elses boat first!
Have fun, it is a great hobby but please stay safe.

G

·
Huge subject, and well covered on this forum if you try a few searches. Have a look at www.boat-angling.co.uk and follow the link on the home page to the free safety DVD from the RNLI. Then go to the Boat Equipment page and download the Safety Equipment Guide. But best of all, try and find someone who has a boat and has been boating for years, and get some first-hand advice. Or go down to a sea angling boat club, hang around and chat to people and find out from them, it is best to see and hear as well as read up. Finally, it will cost more than twice what you expect so make sure there is a bit extra in the kitty, and also make sure you like it by going out in someone elses boat first!
Have fun, it is a great hobby but please stay safe.
You can't get better advice than that, believe me. Especially the bit about the costs!

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Contact your local RNLI station and ask for the Lifeboat Sea Safety Officer - he/she will visit your boat and advise on the correct equipment to carry for the type of boating you will do with the benefit of the knowledge of local conditions - known as a SEA Check. Noting you're on a budget, this is best done before you buy anything.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Contact your local RNLI station and ask for the Lifeboat Sea Safety Officer - he/she will visit your boat and advise on the correct equipment to carry for the type of boating you will do with the benefit of the knowledge of local conditions - known as a SEA Check. Noting you're on a budget, this is best done before you buy anything.
what are they going to check hes not got a boat yet

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the good advice folks. Gulped a bit when you mentioned budget. Am thinking of a 14ft open/rowing type boat. Are electric outboards much cop for this?

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
The only one I would consider looking at would be a Torqueedo as it would be the only one powerful enough to be a main engine but I'd want to do a good bit of research into the range they provide - plus they're expensive compared to a petrol outboard so you'd need a really good reason to go in this direction - you could buy an awful lot of petrol for the price difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts