World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out from Brighton at the weekend and noticed there were a few guys out fishing from dinghys up to about half a mile out.

When on my Shetland I found them easy enough to see and give them a wide berth, but out later on my larger boat I found that they blended in well with the background which could make them an easy target for hooray Henry on his powerboat showing off to his friends.

Does this bother you guys with dinghies??
What could be done to make the craft more visible to safeguard the occupants?

There are a lot of responsible boaters out there but also a few idiots so thought I'd ask the question!

Al.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I was out from Brighton at the weekend and noticed there were a few guys out fishing from dinghys up to about half a mile out.

When on my Shetland I found them easy enough to see and give them a wide berth, but out later on my larger boat I found that they blended in well with the background which could make them an easy target for hooray Henry on his powerboat showing off to his friends.

Does this bother you guys with dinghies??
What could be done to make the craft more visible to safeguard the occupants?

There are a lot of responsible boaters out there but also a few idiots so thought I'd ask the question!

Al.
Know what you mean ,my inflatable dinghy is Grey,and i do get worried about not beeing seen,so i have a Bright Orange pump up float,that i can move about to show hopfully were i am,and i do beleive ORANGE is a good colour to bee seen at sea?

G

·
I saw a dinghy that was no more than 6ft long with a seagull outboard about 1/2 mile off Newhaven on Sunday. There were 2 guys in it with no lifejackets or any other safety equipment from what I could see. I did not see it until the last minute and could easily have run them down.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw a dinghy that was no more than 6ft long with a seagull outboard about 1/2 mile off Newhaven on Sunday. There were 2 guys in it with no lifejackets or any other safety equipment from what I could see. I did not see it until the last minute and could easily have run them down.
My point exactly!

Glad to see one person has thought of having something onboard. ORANGE FLOAT = GOOD IDEA!

There must have been 5 or six off brighton marina on Sat, the worst place to be as the amount of speed boats that like to tear up and down just off the beach was at it's usual proportions on a sunny august weekend.

I don't want to be the one to run someone down - :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
My point exactly!

Glad to see one person has thought of having something onboard. ORANGE FLOAT = GOOD IDEA!

There must have been 5 or six off brighton marina on Sat, the worst place to be as the amount of speed boats that like to tear up and down just off the beach was at it's usual proportions on a sunny august weekend.

I don't want to be the one to run someone down - :eek:hmy:
Another one is to have a quick realese anchor bouy,someone coming towards you ,unclip get out the darn way very quickly,,,,then can go back for the anchor when all clear,very stupid to go out there with no jackets and safety gear,christ its common sense,and a place that busy surprised they aint been run down by now,can t be anyone on this web site id of thought?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's why I started this thread, to see what the dinghy owners thought.
I would think our natural instinct for self preservation would tell most people not to put a small rubber boat close to a marina where unlicensed (and licensed) boaters were hacking in and out all day.
It would be like me anchoring my shetland in the middle of a shipping lane!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's called Darwins theory of evolution.

The thick muppets won't last long, unfortunately its the likes of us that run them down that get all the aggro afterwards from the compo seeking chav's they left behind.

Mind you I've almost been run down by a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron when anchored, and showing my black ball, he was below decks (probably mixing the pink gins) and had left 'Mabel' in charge.

The thud of an 8 oz lead on his foredeck caught his attention though!

As he sailed past about ten feet away, he was giving her a right rollicking something about head towards that little boat, not ram it!

He didn't have the decency to apologise though.

·
Registered
290 Posts

The thick muppets won't last long, unfortunately its the likes of us that run them down that get all the aggro afterwards from the compo seeking chav's they left behind.
QUOTE]

Unfortunately, quite often the 'thick muppets' are the ones in the larger boats doing the running down.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Unfortunately, quite often the 'thick muppets' are the ones in the larger boats doing the running down.
Quite true.

Therefore even if the small guy is doing everything by the book there is no guarantee that he will survive.:wheelchai

·
Registered
3,011 Posts

QUOTE]

"Might is Right" is the unwritten rule. If you are in a small boat be prepared to get out of the way.

What I hate is the idiots in fast craft that forget their wash alone is enough to swamp some small craft. In open sea small craft have to be prepared for that possibility - but so often it happens in harbours where speed limits usually apply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a thought, but if you cant see a dingy, what hope have got of avoiding a swimmer or pot buoy?! :unsure: !!! And yes I saw a swimmer nearly half a mile off shore early on saturday.

I should add that i have a 14'6" seastrike in aluminium grey! ..... and as a consequence I keep a look out and get out the way, but I do expect bigger boats to also keep a look out (grockles often dont) and not to drown me with their wash, as for water skiers thats another thread altogether!

Dan

·
Registered
999 Posts
why are any form/ size of boat not produced in visable colours, surely greys/blues ect shouldnt even be thought of as a good choice for a boat, manufactures need a reminder of thier part in boat safety, anyone out at sea has a responsability to be seen as well as look out for others, injoy your day out but keep it safe:headhurt:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quite true.

Therefore even if the small guy is doing everything by the book there is no guarantee that he will survive.:wheelchai
Too true...

It goes to show it's about common sense on both parts.

I will go out of my way to avoid dinghies and watch my wash even in open sea....it's bad enough getting swamped by an idiot in a gin palace in my shetland but it must be terrifying in a dinghy.

Trouble is not everyone gives a toss when they are showing off to their passengers!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fair enough but I used to have the same trouble in an Enterprise dinghy, and that had a 20ft bright blue sail!
Can't legislate for w***ers unfortunatly, people like that will be the same on the road as well I expect.

Those of us who have an idea of the rules and respect for other water users would give you plenty of room .

Mind you it seems every time I'm at anchor every large yacht within 5 miles has to plot a course that looks like their going to run me down but tack at the last minute!
These are supposed to be qualified people? Is this a game they play? Do they do the same to dinghies? (getting back on topic! lol)

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Can't legislate for w***ers unfortunatly, people like that will be the same on the road as well I expect.

Those of us who have an idea of the rules and respect for other water users would give you plenty of room .

Mind you it seems every time I'm at anchor every large yacht within 5 miles has to plot a course that looks like their going to run me down but tack at the last minute!
These are supposed to be qualified people? Is this a game they play? Do they do the same to dinghies? (getting back on topic! lol)
To true a word there Alan, To tell you the truth its the jet skies that i don t trust the most,speeding up and down showing off ,got all the thames and they gotta be in so close,they hog the slip way at herne bay when my mate is trying to launcn his boat,ive only gone out at minins ,but i remember one time the RNLI rib came close to us ,big wash and they just waved at us ,i thought quite scary,hence now the orange marker float

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree jet ski's can be a pain...Brighton pier being the best example.
But then that seems to draw boats and ski's alike.
It is funny when they get it wrong and get stuck in the ironwork though!!
We did our duty as fininsh boat for the Brighton swimming club pier to pier swimm last week and the inshore lifeguard boat was having to hack up and down stopping boats and ski's from getting amongst the swimmers!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ere surely you can see a small dinghy with people in it from a fair distance! Or are you making rigs , faffin with bait or whatever when you should be looking where your going lol

Can see why mobile phones are banned when your driving now .......

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree jet ski's can be a pain...Brighton pier being the best example.
But then that seems to draw boats and ski's alike.
It is funny when they get it wrong and get stuck in the ironwork though!!
We did our duty as fininsh boat for the Brighton swimming club pier to pier swimm last week and the inshore lifeguard boat was having to hack up and down stopping boats and ski's from getting amongst the swimmers!!

I was nearly run down by a jet skier a couply of years ago he was traveling to fast in an area that he shouldn't have been and got soaked in the prosses lurkerly the local police saw what happened and the guy got nicked .

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ere surely you can see a small dinghy with people in it from a fair distance! Or are you making rigs , faffin with bait or whatever when you should be looking where your going lol

Can see why mobile phones are banned when your driving now .......
Personaly I find it impossible to be making rigs and mess about with baits whilst I pilot my boat looking out for other boats, pot bouys, dinghies and making sure my crew don't fall overboard....

Seriously, dinghies can be hard to see when your busy at the helm with the bow up and all other things to consider. If your moving at say 20knts then a couple of hundred yards is gone in no time so at the very least you don't have time to think about your wash.

I started this thread because I was concerned that some of the guys I saw were at risk from the less aware/considerate boaters and I'm sure a lot of guys on here would share those concerns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts