World Sea Fishing Forums banner

safety first

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  John Mason 
#1 ·
just a few things for everyone to chew over,went down elephants head in southgate yesterday, had a couple of fish, dogling and schoolie then i went down 3 cliffs with my boy for a swim, when i was walking back across the beach i could hear shouts of help! and i could see a young boy and his father in difficulty heading outwards,they had taken one step too far into the river and got out of their depth, not by much, but enough to take them ,the tide was half way out by this point so there was quite an undertow!i ran across the beach and got one of the boys i know,nigel to go out on his surf-ski kayak and pull them back in,the outcome was everybody was safe but the father was shaken up to say the least ,and my next point is jetskis i went down there again today and there were 6 jetskis coming right into the beach and riding flat out into the breakers,im no killjoy by any sense but there were a lot of kids and adults in the water at this time, i was wondering at what point to these things officially become a hazard/nuisance? after they had finished messing about they all decided to come upsrteam and look to see if the valley was flooded,luckily it wasnt otherwise they would have gone up to the castle! when they stopped on the way back i took a couple of their council reg numbers, but some of them were not apparent or under the waterline, i was wondering if anyone could help in telling me who i could forward this scenario to because if one of these boys hit anyone there would be a real difficulty in proving who it was, and i'm sure they shouldn't be in that close.

See less See more
#2 ·
hello dog hop,
as far as the people in the water are concerned, the best thing that anyone can take to the beach or a river is a throw bag. these are used by kayakers and simply put are a nylon bag with about 30 foot of thin but very strong rope. they have a float inside the bag and all you do is hold the rope and throw the bag to anyone that needs it and the rope spools out. i make my own as we are always on the beach and you never know when you are going to need one. rock anglers should always have one and children should be shown how to use them. i always carry two with me. if anyone wants me to make one up for them. i will do it at cost and post it on :)
LISA CANNOT BELIEVE I HAVE JUST BEEN SO SENSIBLE

#3 ·
Dog Hop you can make a report to the Water safety dept make your claim against the Jet ski's and they will follow it up. hope they can do something as these t*ssers are dangerous.

#5 ·
I agree - a lot of these guys are a pest to every sea-user. I don't have a problem with them in principle but it's this close-in **** that they persist with. Mates who've lost rods due to this. Talk from Borth of dolphins, porpoises and seals being harassed. If any jetskiers read this forum, then PLEASE stay 500m+ out except when launch/retrieving, enjoy what you do but leave the wildlife in peace, leave the surfers and swimmers in peace and leave the anglers in peace. If you want to go round and round in 10m circles metres from the bank, use your local duckpond!

In my view they should be licensed in the same way that other motor vehicles are.

Cheers - John

#6 ·
Yep, idiots on jet skis drive me mad. Fished off the rocks by Swanbridge beach last week, we were the only ones there. Could hear jet skis in the distance.

As soon as one saw us a swarm of them came up to within about 10 yards of the rocks doing pathetic little turns and spraying water everywhere. For the next hour or so they just went back and fore past us doing little 'tricks'. What is wrong with these guys? Why do they have to have an audience for their pathetic games? Do they really think they are James Bond because they've got a JetSki and a wetsuit? They have miles of coastline, and hundreds of miles of open water, and they just had to use the spot the only other person around was using. Twats.

I just wish I had a better cast so I could be sure of knocking one off from time to time. ;)

#8 ·
OK folks here it is - my world-famous (in Machynlleth that is) Jetski poem:

JETSKI
(with apologies to John Masefield)

I must down to the sea again
To the lonely sea and sky...

Sound of curlew
Sound of gulls
A gentle surf
A lonely beach
Sounds of landscape
Flood the mind
Sounds of seascape
Sounds of peace

I dream along
Ebb-tide running
Sounds of peace
The joy of life
No monitor screen
Or ringing phone
An anti-office
Then they arrive....

Big and shiny
4-wheel drive
From some distant
Tarmac place
Reversing seaward
With its payload
End of silence
End of peace

Hey Man Hey Man
Where you going?
Where you going
With that thing?
Across to Arklow?
Or wildlife-spotting?
Or maybe even
Lobster-potting?

No - not exactly:
Round and round
Is where you're going
Round and round
And round and round
No great voyage
Destination: nil
Your Mission is:
Go round and round

Round and round
Round and round
Round and round
And round and round
Hassling surfers
Hassling swimmers
Hassling wildlife
Round and round

Round and round
Noisy noisy
Round and round
Pointless pointless
Killing silence
Burning two-stroke
Spraying water
Round and round

Jetski jetski
Pointless pointless
Well look at you
James bloody Bond
Jetski jetski
Pointless pointless
Misdirected
Round and round

Jetski jetski
Pointless pointless
Noisy noisy
Macho wetsuit
Jetski jetski
Pointless pointless
Mindless mindless
Polluting polluting
Jetski jetski
Jetski jetski
Jetski jetski
Round and round...

I must down to the sea again
To the lonely sea and the sky
And all I ask is a guided missile
And some fuel to make it fly
And the launcher's kick
And the rocket's scream
And the vapour-trail a-snaking
And the wonderful sound
From over the waves
Of a jetski disintegrating....

Hope you like that!

Cheers - John

#12 ·
thanks for your responses,i have just e mailed the tourism/water safety dept from an address that blueskip posted a few months ago stating what happened ,also i like the idea of the float and rope safety system i'd never really thought of one before 'i will knock one up in the week,i'll keep you posted on the fate of the aforementioned jetskiers !!

#13 ·
i have just had a reply from swansea council/water safety dept stating that the council have no jurasdiction over jetskis launched at oxwich/port eynon,there will be mandatory training only for people who join mumbles jetski club,the aforementioned troublesome jetskiers will only be disciplined if they are members of mumbles jetski club, if they are not they will be contacted by mumbles jetski club and they will be told of complaints against them! if continued problems occur there will be an enforcement of laws pertaining to use of dangerous craft on the water,the way i read that is that there will be some action taken against them but dont hold your breath,i have been told i will get a reply regarding action taken against said jetskiers and i will post this page when i get a reply!as i said before i'm no killjoy but there were kids in the water ,my boy included!
ps, this is a far cry from the banning orders that we were told about in the spring regarding misbehaving jetskiers!we shall see

#14 ·
I have had problems with these characters in the past as well, so now along with my boat rods, I take my .22 air rifle with the telescopic sight fitted, one look at the "business end" of this from a jet-ski buzzing about 10mts away, & they tend to go & annoy somebody else! One of these days I may need to load it!
blueskip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.