World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if theres anywhere you can bulk buy Sakuma hooks.

In particular 4/0 and 3/0 preferabley the 535 Manta Extra.

I know you can buy them in 10's from just about every tackle shop in the country and I have seen them in boxes of 30's on ebay etc but is that the biggest they come?

No way of buying a load at 50 a time or 100 ??

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
sakuma uk themselves

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
We sell the 30 boxes, purely because they don't do any bigger ones. In an ideal world we would be able to get the boxes of 50s and 100s, but 30s are the biggest ones we can get from Sakuma, trade.

·
Registered
913 Posts
as it states seen them in torbay angling in 100s

7 dartmouth road. paignton.devon.tq4-5aa tele 01803-552496

[email protected]

apparently have an exclusive deal on them

hope this helps have seen them in their adverts

bought 100-545 2/0 £11.39 and 100-545 4/0 £17.79 did get the extras as well think it was 17.80 and 24.75 per 100 respectivley

had a cash deal reduction £65 total 400 hooks:victory:

good service good hooks oh they bag them thereselves so beware the bags bulk hooks in bags dont in pockets go lol:D

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
From the sellers point of view,the bigger boxes they make,the less profit surely,so you can see their reluctance.Could you not mail a supplier and just ask if you'd get a discount for buying 50 boxes of 30 or whatever?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
From the sellers point of view,the bigger boxes they make,the less profit surely,so you can see their reluctance.Could you not mail a supplier and just ask if you'd get a discount for buying 50 boxes of 30 or whatever?
I'm disappointed mate, I fully expected you to be forging your own

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
hi Bob,

funny you mention this, i only today emailed Sakuma directly and asked for 600 hooks, 300 at 4/0 and 300 at 5/0.

the discount they gave still didn't compete with fishing discount store.( one off many sites i use, along with WSF shop ;) )
and the reply i recieved could have been in a better manner too !! .

when i replied too them and stated i can buy the same hooks cheaper, even with their discounted price .

their reply was summit like,
"" you may as well order from the online store then as that is the only discount i can offer ""

to which i replied , " well i thought buying Sakuma hooks directly from Sakuma would be the cheapest option , Obviously not "

i think i may change to another brand now lol.

Andy

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Ive bought other stuff from UK hooks myself and didnt realise they sold Sakuma hooks. In 50's too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Used to be able to get em cheapish in a local tackle shop b4 they were so popular.

100 545s 4/0 were £10.50

100 545s 6/0 were £12.50

There were even better deals on x 500. Then the deals stopped as the shop said the suppliers were going to up the prices big style.

The prices have gone far too high now in my opinion. Packs of 10 for £3 in some shops!! For hooks that are prone to snap.....yes some big fish have been landed on em,but so have some big fish been lost when the hook snaps.

Tried some 3/0 Sakuma "lookalikes" 100 delivered for £3.50 from the auction site(bidding)...not snapped one yet.

The importers of these hooks had little competition except for Veals Big Mouth hooks, as there wasnt so many alike hooks available,maybe thats why prices have crept up so much? Yes the exchange rate affects it too,but i feel anglers are being made to pay too high a price for these hooks these days.
Alan Yates did some very similar hooks too,not sure if they are still available. They were great hooks and very good value for money too,sold in 50s.

A shop in Torbay was selling 525s in 100s cheaply compared to other areas,but their prices have crept up too.

I cant see how 100 525s are priced more than say 100 Kamasan b940 of the same size.

In America they can get 1000 hooks for the price of 100 similar hooks over here.

Is the importer of Sakuma hooks called Dick?.........Mr Turpin. :bleh:

Good marketing, maybe not so good a prices.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They always were a bit overpriced and always oversized. I stopped using them a while ago and now buy my rigs ready built for me so I ask not to have sakuma hooks fitted. Don't like theire swivels either.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Used to be able to get em cheapish in a local tackle shop b4 they were so popular.

100 545s 4/0 were £10.50

100 545s 6/0 were £12.50

There were even better deals on x 500. Then the deals stopped as the shop said the suppliers were going to up the prices big style.

The prices have gone far too high now in my opinion. Packs of 10 for £3 in some shops!! For hooks that are prone to snap.....yes some big fish have been landed on em,but so have some big fish been lost when the hook snaps.

Tried some 3/0 Sakuma "lookalikes" 100 delivered for £3.50 from the auction site(bidding)...not snapped one yet.

The importers of these hooks had little competition except for Veals Big Mouth hooks, as there wasnt so many alike hooks available,maybe thats why prices have crept up so much? Yes the exchange rate affects it too,but i feel anglers are being made to pay too high a price for these hooks these days.
Alan Yates did some very similar hooks too,not sure if they are still available. They were great hooks and very good value for money too,sold in 50s.

A shop in Torbay was selling 525s in 100s cheaply compared to other areas,but their prices have crept up too.

I cant see how 100 525s are priced more than say 100 Kamasan b940 of the same size.

In America they can get 1000 hooks for the price of 100 similar hooks over here.

Is the importer of Sakuma hooks called Dick?.........Mr Turpin. :bleh:

Good marketing, maybe not so good a prices.
you get what you pay for mate ,if you are can only afford cheap sh*t thats what you will get ,you cant expect a £40 rod to be as good as a zziplex or century ,same goes for hooks if you want the best than you have to pay that little bit more for them ,as for sakuma hooks snapping ,never heard so much b*llocks in my life ,i my opinion the sharpest strongest hook on the market to day by far ,i have seen the copies ,absolute cheap cr*p, you can see where they have been clamped the barbs are not striaght thats if you can find one in the bag with a barb ,sakuma hooks dont rust and they stay needle sharp so you will save money , the others you may as well throw away after a couple casts ,these cheap imatations are ok for the hoby fisherman ,or nody but ask any true specimen hunter who catch big fish on a regular basis and i would say 99% use sakuma hooks ,would love to here from anyone who has lost a fish from a sakuma hook snapping .cheers mark

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well, My Dad and I have lost a few good thornies and huss due to sakuma hooks snapping. I have gone back to using mustad hooks now.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Ive seen one snap with a good fish on as well.
I've heard (from someone I know) of a couple giving way too....but I still use them, and rate them :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Snapped a 2/0 on a strap this morning....beginning to have my doubts now with the other replies!

But have to agree sharpest I've come across!

Musky

·
Registered
103 Posts
Every one that fishes is waiting for that fish of a life time. and no one knows when its going to come, myself i only use sukuma hooks and never had one snap on big fish yet, you only get one chance at it, for the sake of a £1 i know wot i would use. plus its the only hook you can wipe off and reuse with confidence.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well, My Dad and I have lost a few good thornies and huss due to sakuma hooks snapping. I have gone back to using mustad hooks now.
used to use vikings myself but they bend with decent fish on and they are blunt as hell by a 8/0 for eeling you have to try to sharpen them before you start fishing 8/0 sukuma will put a hole through your finger ,depends what size hook you use ,i only fish for big stuff so i suppose if i used a 2/0 for a eel trip i would expect to loose it ,i use the 8/0 for hussing and eeling and never seen one snap and have landed ray over 20lb on 4/0s i suppose with the amount of anglers fishing and the amount of hooks sukuma sell ,there are always going to be a few that break ,still the sharpest and strongest in my opinion but hey ho everyone has got there own preference ,cheers mark

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
you get what you pay for mate ,if you are can only afford cheap sh*t thats what you will get ,you cant expect a £40 rod to be as good as a zziplex or century ,same goes for hooks if you want the best than you have to pay that little bit more for them ,as for sakuma hooks snapping ,never heard so much b*llocks in my life ,i my opinion the sharpest strongest hook on the market to day by far ,i have seen the copies ,absolute cheap cr*p, you can see where they have been clamped the barbs are not striaght thats if you can find one in the bag with a barb ,sakuma hooks dont rust and they stay needle sharp so you will save money , the others you may as well throw away after a couple casts ,these cheap imatations are ok for the hoby fisherman ,or nody but ask any true specimen hunter who catch big fish on a regular basis and i would say 99% use sakuma hooks ,would love to here from anyone who has lost a fish from a sakuma hook snapping .cheers mark
I Lost 4 hounds in 4 casts to Sakuma 525s snapping,drag was set light and backed off when the fish was in close,yet the hooks snapped.I expect you think it was my fault LOL...hobby or noddy? LOL

Had 100s of hounds since and not one hook has snapped(using an alternative brand),so i had a bad experience with Sakuma hooks and im not the only one,so youve probably "never heard so much b*llocks in your life" from a few anglers.

"The strongest sharpest hook on the market" thats opinion.
The old Breakaway spearpoint extras were just as strong and sharp in my opinion. The Kamasan B940 would probably show easier penetration due to the smaller barb,they are strong too and dont break on bigger fish for me personally. For strength you cant really beat the Mustad 10827BLN, probably land a shark on that.

In your opinion some hooks are only ok for Hobby or noddy fisherman,you dont have to be a Specimen Hunter to enjoy YOUR own fishing.

You "get what you pay for"....i dont agree. Theres deals to be had if you shop around. Hooks costing £5 per 25 these days were had for under £20 a 1000.

Some anglers swear by Sakumas,some dont trust them,its only opinions. In mine they ARE expensive these days and are prone to snap,bad batch,who knows?.
Theres plenty of hook makes out there to choose from,using Sakumas isnt the only sign of being a good angler or enjoying your own fishing in my opinion.
Mates had some hooks from me at cost,approx 2p each(if your lucky there are deals to be had),eels to 28lb landed.Other hooks costing the same have landed Tope too.

Theres some great hooks available by V.M.C, Eagle Claw, Mustad, Rozetti,Matsui,Kamatsu etc etc.

But you dont always need premium hooks,ive had eels to 25lb on Fladen hooks and to over 30lb on Kamasan aberdeens. So both premium and cheaper hooks are capable of landing decent fish.

Sakumas are like red ice line....some anglers swear by certain brands while others arent so keen. With opinions there is no right or wrong,its just opinions.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I use the Manta extra for pollack when using jelly worms etc etc.
I have yet to have one break, but I have heard of others that have.

I used to use Mustad hooks for pretty much everything, but noticed a sharp drop in quality in recent times. (Mostly commercial patterns)
The hooks are often blunt and are too soft. They bend way too easily.
Mustad (commercial) hooks have always been sold as "bends rather than breaks" BUT shaking a mackerel off a hook by hand should not bend it !!!

I have heard they have shifted their main production to the far east from Norway - and quality has suffered.

I guess (and i do guess) the Sakuma hooks have a much higher carbon content in the steel, making them have a very sharp point (unlike the mustad) but also brittle.
Just like a knife blade made from high carbon steel. Dream to sharpen, very sharp & quickly, but easy to snap, and they rust.
Stainless blades are low maintenance and often so hard they are impossible to re-sharpen to anything like their knew state with regular sharpeners.
spot on hit the nail on the head there ss ,not found a sharper hook but thats my own opinion

1 - 20 of 48 Posts