World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned back to Sheerness sea front last night 19/08/08 to look for a snapped trace and found a large dead salmon, hook still in its mouth and not really that long dead.
It had a large bite from its under rear and a smaller bite on the upper rear of its body and the flesh was still firm.

Weight wise it was around the 10 - 12lb range

I've fished this area all my life and have never heard, or through google searching, seen this before.

There is an unusual amount of mackeral at the moment.

Is this really uncommon.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
There is a modest run of salmon up the Thames peaking in around September/October. The odd fish gets lost and heads up the Medway. Not sure about the hook in its mouth but seals love em and that could be the origin of the bites.

Looking at your pictures, I'd guess the weight was 5 or 6lb Max

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting! Does look like it's been dead for a while. Maybe a seal bite, but more likely crabs. Looks like they had a go at the head and eyes too.

The flesh was still very firm and there was no smell what so ever. The lower bite was a perfect munch size and shape.

There was a large seal sitting out off the jetty on Tuesday afternoon.

·
Immigrant of Essex
844 Posts
I returned back to Sheerness sea front last night 19/08/08 to look for a snapped trace and found a large dead salmon, hook still in its mouth and not really that long dead.
It had a large bite from its under rear and a smaller bite on the upper rear of its body and the flesh was still firm.

Weight wise it was around the 10 - 12lb range

I've fished this area all my life and have never heard, or through google searching, seen this before.

There is an unusual amount of mackeral at the moment.

Is this really uncommon.

I used to always fish for salmon up north where im from and have caught quite alot and when the drought was on years ago seen alot of fresh dead almon but this one seems as if it has been dead quite a while and has no colour in it whatso evr ifit was fresh the scales would be still in tact especially asits still in sea water. never the less it shows u that they are coming closer in and the area must be getting cleaner has anyone tryed properly targeting them from that area?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Without seeing the tail properly, this could easily be a sea trout.. Hard to judge the weight by the size of your foot, but looks in the 6lb area.. Good find though... Someone lost a good fish

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Very interesting, I caught a 7.2lb salmon from the freshwater bit of the Blackwater in march 06. I have seen salmon & sea trout caught in gill nets in the blackwater and Kentish Knock, also seen them leaping in the autum time.

If a fish doesnt get fished for it will rearly get caught!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts