World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just taken delivery of a pair of Shakespeare Salt Extreme Surf 12' 9" FS's. Unpacked them and they seemed like a decent rod for the the money. I'm in the camp that thinks that a bad rod is hard to find these days.................well I just found one.

The rods are a decent finish with reasonable quality fitting on them and although they're rated for 8oz, I think they feel a bit light to handle an 8oz lead, plus a decent sized bait.

So far so good. Unwrapped them like a fat girl on a cup cake and everything seemed to hunky-dory. Then I took a closer look at the spigots. After reading a couple of reviews I was aware that the female side of the joint was prone to cracking and I was led to beleive that this could be caused by the lack of whipping around the end of the female section. Mine seemed to be ok, but what appeared to be a whipped section turned out to be a "collar" over the end of the ferrule. Fitting the sections together I noticed that the spigot slid in a bit too easy and to use the vernacular the male spigot slid in all the way upto the balls, without any excessive pressure.

With the rod fully assembled I went into the garden and gave it a slight flexing, only to notice a rattling sound coming from the joints. I pushed the sections as tight as I thought reasonable, without excessive force and still the sections rattled. I disassembled the rod and I must admit that I was quite surprised at how easy the sections parted.

On closer inspection I noticed that the maled spigots were very roughly finished and using an engineeers metal rule, I placed the straight edge along side all the males spigots. Holding them up to the light I found that the spigots had not been ground true and this would explain the rattle coming from the joints when the rods were asssembled.

Redressing the spigots so they are true isn't an option as there is insufficient length on them so by my thinking I have two options: Either build the spigots back up and then dress them down to a better fit or just pack both rods up and return them to the dealer.

I'd appreciate any advice as to the best material for increasing the thickness of the spigots; I was thinking of a spray-on, low build body filler?

Or should I just send them back to the dealer?

I appreciate that dealers may inadvertently pass on a bad batch, but you'ld think that they'd check out the gear they're selling to make sure that it's actually fit for purpose before they take your hard earned cash:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
personally i would send them back they should be fit for purpose without you having to modify them in any way.i have the old salt beach rods and they have taken a pounding ,it seems the extreme blanks arent up to much.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally agree. I have the old style salt flattie and never had a problem with shakespeare rods.............until now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
send them back, i have 2 salt travel beach rods, great rods but the female joints are starting to show signs of cracking. Also have a salt long surf which has steel collars on the female joints which are showing signs of rust after only 4 outings. I'm sure there are much better rods out there. I picked up a second hand greys triad off of fleabay for just a few quid more and its a different beast all together. Very well made with tight fitting joints and a much more solid feel.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The law covers you in regards to the quality and in regards to the performance, take a look at the sale of goods act and its amendments and if you need any further help then contact citizens advice over the phone.
Sadly many products these days are of very poor quality so it pays to know your rights when it comes to buying goods.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks their going back then. I'll just have to wait and see how quick the supplier is at giving the money back.

·
Registered
21,656 Posts
I've just taken delivery of a pair of Shakespeare Salt Extreme Surf 12' 9" FS's. Unpacked them and they seemed like a decent rod for the the money. I'm in the camp that thinks that a bad rod is hard to find these days.................well I just found one.

The rods are a decent finish with reasonable quality fitting on them and although they're rated for 8oz, I think they feel a bit light to handle an 8oz lead, plus a decent sized bait.

So far so good. Unwrapped them like a fat girl on a cup cake and everything seemed to hunky-dory. Then I took a closer look at the spigots. After reading a couple of reviews I was aware that the female side of the joint was prone to cracking and I was led to beleive that this could be caused by the lack of whipping around the end of the female section. Mine seemed to be ok, but what appeared to be a whipped section turned out to be a "collar" over the end of the ferrule. Fitting the sections together I noticed that the spigot slid in a bit too easy and to use the vernacular the male spigot slid in all the way upto the balls, without any excessive pressure.

With the rod fully assembled I went into the garden and gave it a slight flexing, only to notice a rattling sound coming from the joints. I pushed the sections as tight as I thought reasonable, without excessive force and still the sections rattled. I disassembled the rod and I must admit that I was quite surprised at how easy the sections parted.

On closer inspection I noticed that the maled spigots were very roughly finished and using an engineeers metal rule, I placed the straight edge along side all the males spigots. Holding them up to the light I found that the spigots had not been ground true and this would explain the rattle coming from the joints when the rods were asssembled.

Redressing the spigots so they are true isn't an option as there is insufficient length on them so by my thinking I have two options: Either build the spigots back up and then dress them down to a better fit or just pack both rods up and return them to the dealer.

I'd appreciate any advice as to the best material for increasing the thickness of the spigots; I was thinking of a spray-on, low build body filler?

Or should I just send them back to the dealer?

I appreciate that dealers may inadvertently pass on a bad batch, but you'ld think that they'd check out the gear they're selling to make sure that it's actually fit for purpose before they take your hard earned cash:mad::mad::mad:
:clap2: Pity this wasn't posted earlier as I was at the Tackle & Guns trade show yesterday and I could've brought this up with the Shakespeare people. They had a really good reputation with returns and problems, unfortunately most of those I knew from my years at the SAN are "no longer with the company", same could be said about a lot of others I couldn't find, that's a lot of valuable experience gone. :uhuh:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Send it back and buy a Zziplex ;)

Great..............and the Missus would have me using my danglies as bait.

I was looking for something a bit more in the budget range. I had a look at a Rovex yesterday and it seemed like a decent allrounder.

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
:clap2: Pity this wasn't posted earlier as I was at the Tackle & Guns trade show yesterday and I could've brought this up with the Shakespeare people. They had a really good reputation with returns and problems, unfortunately most of those I knew from my years at the SAN are "no longer with the company", same could be said about a lot of others I couldn't find, that's a lot of valuable experience gone. :uhuh:
Not sure if they would have admitted to a problem or not at the show but it's interesting that the Salt range has disappeared for 2013 and has been re-branded as the Agility range using what look like the same blanks with different cosmetics and what look like more standard ferrules, I'm only going by the catalogue pics though and they're not 100% clear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.