World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had a go at using fly tackle for bass this year ? If so any suggestions for marks in the south wales? Anybody been lucky enough to get anything on the fly??

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have not had the fly rod out yet this year in the sea, but in recent years I have had good mullet, bass, makerel, garfish and sea trout.

Not sure about south Wales, but there is plenty of ideal fly fishing marks down here in the south west.

·
Registered
94 Posts
been sea fishing for a number of years , but can also fly fish aswell so i am thinking when the macky are about in big numbers i am going to fly fish for the fish as i aint had a saltwater fish on fly gear before , when the macky are in tidy that tells me to get the fly gear on the go , what a fight you would have with a 6lb bass on fly gear , im tingling with the thought about it .

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rubbers and Dave. Go for it, if you already have experience with a fly rod. If you have the patience and can use a fly rod then have a crack for the mullet (torpedoes on steriods) they are just as tricky as with regular gear but well worth the effort.

Tip's; try getting hold of some small illuminous redgill (25mm), they cast well with an 8+ wf or sh line and the Bass love em when retrieved slowly in low light levels. For the mullet try tying some bread patterns (or use partridge fake bread) or use a red tag or bloodworm pattern. Another good one is berkley rubber maggots :eek: awsome bait on muddy weedy marks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Going to try flyfishing for mackerel off my boat when I get back from holidays. Not tried it before so don't know what to expect. A mate tried flyfishing for bass up on Anglesey about 3 weeks ago. Managed a schoolie, his first ever. Pleased with it, kept showing everyone the photo of it on his mobile.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
you could try around the ogmore river mouth for schoolies also any of the local beaches including aberavon are worth a try.Have a go at aberavon next month go about thigh deep and cast along the surf in the calm table of water in between breakers and if theres mackerel about get ready for some fireworks this method will also pick up bass which on a fly rod are something wild

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
going to have to have a go for a bass and the mackeral this year on the fly , thanks for the tips !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts