World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read many of the threads about salted lug it seems to have some pretty good reviews but what i was wondering is why hasn't it been done on a bigger scale by some of the bigger bait companies i.e ammo and the like

G

·
In the late 60's I used to buy salted lug from tackle shops down here in Ramsgate. Back then it was cheaper than buying fresh and was always available.

I caught my personal best plaice (4lb) from the end of Ramsgate pier using it.

Last year just before xmas I went fishing with a couple of mates. They bought so much lug (about 10 score) and were going to chuck it at the end of a blanking session. I took it home and salted it down and have been using it ever since.
It makes a good bait for flatties and I have had whiting & codling on it too.
So far this year I haven't dug or bought any fresh lug, but when I do, I am going to try it side by side to see how well it does against fresh.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
983 Posts
In the late 60's I used to buy salted lug from tackle shops down here in Ramsgate. Back then it was cheaper than buying fresh and was always available.

I caught my personal best plaice (4lb) from the end of Ramsgate pier using it.

Last year just before xmas I went fishing with a couple of mates. They bought so much lug (about 10 score) and were going to chuck it at the end of a blanking session. I took it home and salted it down and have been using it ever since.
It makes a good bait for flatties and I have had whiting & codling on it too.
So far this year I haven't dug or bought any fresh lug, but when I do, I am going to try it side by side to see how well it does against fresh.

Malcolm.

Are we talking Black or Blow lug, or both.??????????????????

Rgds
G

G

·
Are we talking Black or Blow lug, or both.??????????????????

Rgds
G
The ones that I have salted are Reculver lug.

They look like commons or yellowtails but are a bit bigger. Not as big as the dungie lug though.

My mates got them from Blean angling so not sure what they were sold as. It seemed a waste to just throw them in the sea so did a search on here and followed the advice on salting.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts