World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am thinking of salting some lug and rag for the winter can anyone tell me how long it will keep and how well it fishes ie what species and what success rate using sallted lug and ragworm.
Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pughil
I did not ask how to search but your input in that is most welcome. i have already done that.During my search i have not found any threads that tell you what species and how good a bait (catch rates) salted is.So i am asking anybody with experience using salted lug and rag what they think of it as a bait.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
it will always be a second rate bait and i would say to use when you can get nothing else. some will say they have caught on it but would probably have done a lot better with fresh.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have used salted Lug tipped with Mackie many times for Flat species and not only had a good catch rate but way outfished my 2nd rod with fresh bait on it most times. I think the fact you can use small bits of it and it isnt easy to strip off has some bearing. Wouldnt use if i thought Cod were around but seems good for scratching.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
HI ALL I recall reading an artical in an old sea angler on salting worms In it it said it was best to soak the worms in pilchard oil prior to salting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts