World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rocked up about 13:00 as I had to go around the houses looking for some bait due to driving all the way from London to Rite Tackle only to find it SHUT for maintenance. I was spitting blood as I had no bait at all and was thinking about just throwing the towel in and going back home down south. Then I remembered this brilliant fishing forum called world sea fishing and with a quick search on my phone I was on the hunt for a fella called Lee Dennis. I met up with Lee and got a load of fresh lug and some squid. Now I was set. Fishing just over the shingle at the end of the dirt track that leads you down to the water at Salthouse. I set up for the long day/night.
One rod with half a squid and a couple of lug wrapped to it for good luck and the second 2 hook flapper with just lug. fishing the flooding tide it was not long until the knocks started. Pulling in dabs two at a time and then the ling showed up but only a few and they were very small. My pal pulled in what I think was a nice little plaice and that was the fish of the day. As the darkness slowly took over so did the whiting and it was one after another of bait stealing little monsters. They gobbled up every worm we had left we then decided to pack it in around 1 am. So about 12 hours fishing in total and god knows how many fish but it was one and sometimes more a chuck. No cod and no rays I am afraid but it is salt house so my expectations were not high to start with.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Rocked up about 13:00 as I had to go around the houses looking for some bait due to driving all the way from London to Rite Tackle only to find it SHUT for maintenance. I was spitting blood as I had no bait at all and was thinking about just throwing the towel in and going back home down south. Then I remembered this brilliant fishing forum called world sea fishing and with a quick search on my phone I was on the hunt for a fella called Lee Dennis. I met up with Lee and got a load of fresh lug and some squid. Now I was set. Fishing just over the shingle at the end of the dirt track that leads you down to the water at Salt House. I set up for the long day/night.
One rod with half a squid and a couple of lug wrapped to it for good luck and the second 2 hook flapper with just lug. fishing the flooding tide it was not long until the knocks started. Pulling in dabs two at a time and then the ling showed up but only a few and they were very small. My pal pulled in what I think was a nice little plaice and that was the fish of the day. As the darkness slowly took over so did the whiting and it was one after another of bait stealing little monsters. They gobbled up every worm we had left we then decided to pack it in around 1 am. So about 12 hours fishing in total and god knows how many fish but it was one and sometimes more a chuck. No cod and no rays I am afraid but it is salt house so my expectations were not high to start with.
Nice piccy's bud:thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rocked up about 13:00 as I had to go around the houses looking for some bait due to driving all the way from London to Rite Tackle only to find it SHUT for maintenance. I was spitting blood as I had no bait at all and was thinking about just throwing the towel in and going back home down south. Then I remembered this brilliant fishing forum called world sea fishing and with a quick search on my phone I was on the hunt for a fella called Lee Dennis. I met up with Lee and got a load of fresh lug and some squid. Now I was set. Fishing just over the shingle at the end of the dirt track that leads you down to the water at Salt House. I set up for the long day/night.
Salthouse is all one word, if you had such a good plaice, why no picture?? Did you order your bait in advance, before slagging off the tackle shop ?? Are you sure it was not a Rockling you caught?? Is the point of fishing, the fish eating the bait on the hook?? But you did put in a 12 hr shift and caught loads, so well done.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'm glad you managed to get some bait to enjoy a marathon 12 hour session. Great that you caught throughout the session. That's the great thing about Salthouse, when its fishing, they are there at almost any stage of the tide.

Not sure if the fish you holding is the "plaice". I see a flounder.
Its quite easy to confuse the two. Even experienced anglers (like me) get it wrong.
In my case I still have the mickey taken out of me for my mistake at identity.
Got to love the fellow forum members on here for the banter :D

Les is good as is Jon Hall at Roughton and Pete Fairclough at Sheringham. Christian at Fancy this Fancy that in Cromer carries frozen baits too.

If all else fails its always worth putting a plea on the forum. Someone in the area may have surplus or frozen bait they are willing to part with or know someone else who may have.

The base camp picture is superb. I've tried many times to capture the scene and atmosphere while on a session but that picture does it well. I've also tried to replicate the iconic Fenix picture with the lit rod tip on many occasions to no avail. Care to provide pointers ?

Thanks for posting and congratulations on the captures.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
It's clearly a Turbot.

:stirpot:

Smashing report boi. It's a shame for you that no decent fish showed up, but we at least have the benefit of reading about it and enjoying the pics, thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
even experienced anglers (like me) get it wrong.

Yeah but you did take it to the extreme boi, when you (a fisheries scientist with qualifications as long as my soddin arm) claimed the Welsh Small Eyed Ray you landed to be a Blonde Ray!!!! :rofl:

Definitely my nomination for 'funniest fishing moment of 2018'

:laugh::laugh::roflpuke::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yeah but you did take it to the extreme boi, when you (a fisheries scientist with qualifications as long as my soddin arm) claimed the Welsh Small Eyed Ray you landed to be a Blonde Ray!!!! :rofl:

Definitely my nomination for 'funniest fishing moment of 2018'

:laugh::laugh::roflpuke::laugh::laugh:
Even experienced anglers (like me) get it wrong.
I rest my case :D :D :D

Oh! And definitely agree. It even beats the horizon / sea quote of the previous year PMSL

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yes but that 2017 classic was an easy error to make, after all, each of us occasionally mistakes the sky for the sea, don't we!? :ugh2::cautious:

:roflmao:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the feedback guys, so it was a flounder in the end as I said in the post I was not to sure as the spots were orange but they did not jump out at you. I never uploaded pics of all the fish as there was no point all much of a much. None of the dabs were of eating size really quite small. In fact everything was small but consistent. As for iancodking, yes I did try to order in advance by calling the shop three times but every time it just rung out. So I said to my mate odds are they are busy with a customer. I have used rite tackle before and the are a super shop. I never slagged them off and never will. As for the mystery of the Plaice it was a flounder we have now found out and picture is attached (even though it dose not do the fish justice).
Bassspinner the camera I used is a Cannon EOS 700D. I set it up with an aperture of F3.2, shutter speed of 4 seconds and ISO of 1600. You will have to tweak the setting all depending on the light on the night. I am no pro at all. In fact this was almost my first bash at shots like this hence why they they are out of focus. Also with a shutter speed of 4 seconds and 15 seconds make sure your subject dose not move an inch otherwise you will get very bad motion blur. If you want more help just PM me fella.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts