World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a second hand monomagged Saltist 20 a few months ago, rarely been used so earlier I decided to give it a quick service in readiness for the autumn season.

Took the left hand side plate off and a copper shim and a small silver cylinder about 3-4mm long fell out, from where I have no idea. I have since put the reel back together and there is now significant side to side play in the spool even with the end cap done up tight, this is with the copper shim at the end of the spindle.

Any ideas on what I've missed? Could something else have fallen out without me noticing and if so what? I've searched the floor but can't find anything :help:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've just had one of mine apart for a clean, but it's not a magged one - is the silver cylinder you describe like a solid little pin? If so, it goes into one of the holes in the side plate, just level with the "S" in Saltist & below one of the retaining screws. It corresponds with a hole in the cage, I guess it's just there to ensure alignment.

Can't help with the copper shim though, no such animal in mine - I'm guessing it's there to replace some of the gubbins that has been removed to accommodate the mag unit. Perhaps it slips over the bearing to replace the brake-ring assembly - not knowing exactly what's been removed I'm at a bit of a loss here I'm afraid.

I'm sure someone familiar with the magged version can be of more help, good luck:thumbs:

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
The cylinder sounds like the little locating studs right enough. The shim I imagine would be the one that goes behind the left hand bearing ... going by memory (I would check the schematic) but there is usually one or two flat shims, then a stainless washer (which allows the inner on the bearing to run free), the bearing and then a felt pad. The retaining plate then goes over the top to hold it all in.

The setup at that end shouldn't be any different other than the ratchet ring, switch and maybe the cog on the spool if it's been magged ... you still need the retaining plate for the bearing otherwise it would probably just move up the spindle when you cast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts