World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to update my reels still useing 1980s abu7000s still going strong just im wearing out so need all the help i can get geting my lead in when fishing off the boat on the drift as well as all the bass blondies pollock and mr cod i hope to wind in lol i use braid now while on the drift and mono when uptideing so was thinking along the lines of the saltist levelwind for braid and saltist 30 high speed for uptideing ?? iff eny one can give me some info on thes reels and is the saltist levelwind the way to go with braid??tight lines captin bob:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Plums uses them almost exclusively (saltist 30s) so I daresay he'll give you the answer you need. All I can say is....great reels, but why bother with a levelwind?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
other i want the levelwind for braid only so it will lie evenly the plain 30s no levelwind for mono and uptideing mate hope mr plums can help i do like the look of the reels :thumbs::fishing1::thumbs:

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Not using the non levelwind off the shore?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn6fQfHuvXc
He birdies it though.......just a bit, lol
lol, that's an old video, bit of a tongue in cheek copy of the video it's in response to. in that vid i was using .40 mono to be fair, i was dead on my feet having fished all night, eyes were fuzzy and lost sight of the lead so half heartedly slowed it!

ok, braid, i don't use the level wind, forget them!

i use round braid on both a saltist 30 and a mag elite. suffix matrix pro of berkley fireline are both round profile, treat them as mono other than....

on the saltist a .30+ is the way to go, this will not birdie like ultra fine braids and will not cut your finger while laying it.

when you load it, wear some gloves and pinch the line between fingers so as you load it under tension, keep the tension on the whole time, if you squeeze the loaded spool it should not feel 'squishy'.

treat it like mono and lay it on the spool the same, people only need lay it fast / wide when it's a flat profile or not loaded under tension.

when retreiving be sure (if no weight on the line) to push your thumb down in front of the front bar, this give the braid some tension as it loads and helps prevent slack spots caused by swells rising and falling.

if you get excited while retrieving a big fish and lay the line crappy, then let the line off until the bad section is off the spool and reload correctly under tension.

i dont fish boats but have fished dover wall enough times with them, same difference just not as deep maybe.

when proper casting, keep it smooth, don't try flicking it or you'll risk birdying it - same as mono i guess.

think that's about it! #

Hugh

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replie top man cheers mate:thumbs::fishing1::fishing1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.