World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it's been an interesting week!!
We've had winds up to 66mph with it very blowy for a few days solid. Not cold like it was though so totally fishable weather.
After dropping Geordie Si off at the airport on Sunday afternoon I went home and sorted my reels/rigs etc for the coming week. I wanted to do lots of exploring so needed everything just right and a multitude of different types of rig for the various marks I'd be trying.
So on the Monday I set off in earnest. I went to a nearby place with relatively shallow water and a nice steady current. It was very nice fishing. Lots of codling, dabs and plaice with the best fish a 16lb 14oz cod, caught on a 1/0 hook. Great stuff.
After 4 hours it was time to up sticks and try somewhere else. I could of stayed and no doubt caught more, but the week wasn't about that.
I set up once again at the new spot and waited a couple of hours for a bite. I expected it to be slow, a big fish or bust kind of place, but this was slow!!
Anyway halfway down the tide my rod slowly starts going over, then the ratchet's clicking. Not a screaming run but definitely a big fish. I grab the rod and increase the drag, not wanting to spook the fish, just wanting to see if it's hooked up or not. Too often I watch anglers grab the rod and strike. This achieves nothing. The fish is either hooked or not. If it's not you've just spooked it. If it is you've just made it run for cover. I've landed cod over 20lb that haven't even tried to run as they don't even know they're being wound in lol
Anyway this fish is on, and it's strong! It realises something is up and starts moving, wow it's big. Luckily for me it swims uptide. It goes straight past me about 50 yards out. Big mistake as now it's tired itself out and it's also up current of me, so it's a simple job of steadily getting her in. Eventually up pops a cod.... a BIG cod

35lb on the nose, what a beauty!!
That was the only bite from that mark, as I thought all or nothing.
The next day I hit the road again. Completely new area to try. Winds are picking up a bit but find it's ok at this mark. It's not bad, a few codling to 8lb, and the ground is nice with a decent current. One for the future.
I then decide to fish in front of the house for the night session. Literally 100 yards from my door.
It's a good move as I get 5 tidy doubles to 17lb 8oz

The next couple of days are spent doing lots of driving. The winds are getting real strong now, which means with the mountains and fjords it can blow from anywhere, regardless of what the forecast says.
I do find some fish, and a couple of marks that might have potential, but others are snag pits, devoid of fish or just downright dangerous.
I decide later in the week that I've done enough exploring for now and want to catch some fish! So I spend a day on one of my favourite marks, and what a day it was!!
I'm soon hooked up to good fish, the first of which is a ling of 22lb

Then it's haddock to 8lb, coalies to 7lb and another ling of 16lb. It's hectic sport and you can't get the bait to the bottom sometimes.
I decide to call it a day and have 1 last cast....
As usual I start getting a bit straight away. But instead of the fast hard pulldowns this is a real slow bend, the sign of a better fish.
I give it plenty of time to eat the bait, grab the rod and tighten the drag, and it's game on.
I'm fishing about 300 foot of water and this thing is halfway up twice and diving to the bottom again.
I reckon it's got to be a ling or a cod, having had both over 20lb here before.
After a long battle which saw it snagged for 5 minutes, me sitting on my hands waiting for it to swim out, and then eventually landing the fish I see it's another BIG cod.

32lb 8oz, wow I'm ecstatic! Two thirties in a week, mental.
And then yesterday I decided on another little road trip, now I'd had my fix.
This time I did find a good mark, plaice of 1-2lb and codling every cast, non stop for 4 hours. So then moved to 2 other spots and blanked! I have to keep moving to find the marks for my guests, so they have good variety. I'd of been happy catching those codling and plaice all day as surely I'd of seen a better one eventually.
I've got the wife turning up tomorrow, so no fishing for a few days (probably), and my next group arrive on 10th Feb. So next weeks report will probably be quite short, we shall see.
For daily updates on what's being caught please check out my facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Guided-Fishing-Norway-286142448176702/?ref=hl

G

·
outstanding effort john, outstanding. two lovely cod in great condition by the look of them and time yet for some even bigger ones.the flattie fishing sounds tremendous as well,and with the big coalies and ling it is an anglers paradise . how you will ever fish back home again i don't know though,i cannot wait to see how the rest of the adventure goes . the west coast of scotland had fishing like that back in the 70's . i hope i live long enough to see it picking up again.
cheers rab

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
outstanding effort john, outstanding. two lovely cod in great condition by the look of them and time yet for some even bigger ones.the flattie fishing sounds tremendous as well,and with the big coalies and ling it is an anglers paradise . how you will ever fish back home again i don't know though,i cannot wait to see how the rest of the adventure goes . the west coast of scotland had fishing like that back in the 70's . i hope i live long enough to see it picking up again.
cheers rab
Cheers Rab
I always knew the potential here, just starting to find it mate........

·
Registered
827 Posts
What a report!! Some exceptional fishing you had and well done on the 30s, and FairPlay trying marks and blanking for the sake of your customers that's dedication! I could quite easily pack up sea fishing here and spend several weeks in Norway but I get enough grief going once a year:(:( like Nigel says your living the dream!! :D Look forward to your next report.

G

·
Cheers Rab
I always knew the potential here, just starting to find it mate........
i have a feeling you are just getting into it john. knowing how you went it about it back here and the thought that goes into your fishing there is definitely more to come, a lot more.

that aerial shot of the area has an entire winters worth of exploring in it alone, just to suss access , stances and the ground you are fishing on/over all before learning what size tides/ moon phase/state of tide and barometer readings work best for each area. i am sure you will have a ball sussing it out. you are probably doing it already, but i would be noting the barometer readings for each trip. the air pressure has a big effect on the fishing on the deep west coast sea lochs in scotland for some reason. counter intuitive considering some marks are well over 100 feet deep, but quite a few people i know report the same over a long period of time. the high pressure calm periods seem best for many species.

i know it won't have much influence on the fishing out there, but it might help narrow down times for lunkers on particular marks.
cheers rab

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a massive learning curve that's for sure. I'm finding such a variety of fishing that there's an endless supply of learning to be done! Just to suss 1 mark properly for 1 species takes time. The fact you have so many species and so many types of marks means that every day you have new challenges and lots of information to go home and digest.
Yes, it's a paradise for a shore angler. Huge amounts of potential. I think I know enough to put people onto some fish most days, and hopefully they'll get something tidy in their week. The variety is good though as it gives you a backup if certain species aren't playing ball.
But the more you fish here the more you realise just how much there is to learn.
Long term I hope that I can be here year round, all barr the crazy summer when the boat fishing brigade are here in force. But even with maybe 9 months a year and many years it would still be unfinished business!
I try to speak to as many local old boys as I can, they know more than I ever will. The younger generation all speak fluent English. The old boys don't speak a word hardly! So that's another thing on the list of jobs, learn the language. My first few words are names of fish in Norwegian. I'll have to learn how to swear next, then move onto the dull stuff. One old couple took me in for coffee and cake the other day. In exchange for some fish they had a right giggle teaching me fish names.
And there's me thinking I could just come to Norway and take it easy!

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
Great report and some clonking Cod, some anglers don't manage a 30 pounder on the boats let alone the shore, but it certainly sounds like you are living the dream and speaking the language is always useful although [email protected] is the same in any language ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.