World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a mid-priced saltwater baitcaster reel that would suit a 6ft 6in 70g rod. Am looking to do a little shore or rock fishing while on holiday in Mexico this year

Many thanks

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a mid-priced saltwater baitcaster reel that would suit a 6ft 6in 70g rod. Am looking to do a little shore or rock fishing while on holiday in Mexico this year

Many thanks
Hi there,
What rod is that? Seems very short for the rating, no?
I am guessing Offshore (boat)?
But, if right, you might be better off with a FS 3000 and 0.23mm Power Pro braid?
Multipliers (bait casters) 5500 or 6500 size.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I used an ABU ambassaduer 5600c3 for years for all sorts even light uptiding originally bought for piking (jerk baits) it did all i wanted it to.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I used an ABU ambassaduer 5600c3 for years for all sorts even light uptiding originally bought for piking (jerk baits) it did all i wanted it to.
I agree. A 6.6 ft 70g is starting to get well into jerkbait rod territory.
For over an ounce, a 5500 will be fine. However, I'd underfill the spool by some 2, even 3mm.

I use lots of baitcasters for saltwater. From shimano core 50mg's to abu revo premiere and inshore.

Non are what I would term, saltwater proof and despite the sales patter that shops use to sell these salt baitcasters, wait until you open the box where the manufacturers have carefully placed a disclaimer against saltwater use damage. You have to constantly be on top of maintenance. In use, they are worth it. I use little else for kayak topwater plugging as it's way superior IMHO, in this role.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I agree. A 6.6 ft 70g is starting to get well into jerkbait rod territory.
For over an ounce, a 5500 will be fine. However, I'd underfill the spool by some 2, even 3mm.

I use lots of baitcasters for saltwater. From shimano core 50mg's to abu revo premiere and inshore.

Non are what I would term, saltwater proof and despite the sales patter that shops use to sell these salt baitcasters, wait until you open the box where the manufacturers have carefully placed a disclaimer against saltwater use damage. You have to constantly be on top of maintenance. In use, they are worth it. I use little else for kayak topwater plugging as it's way superior IMHO, in this role.
The ryoga (not bay jigger as it doesn't have mags) is a nice saltwater baitcaster would be very suitable for kayaking and maintainence wise not overly complicated just solid, smooth and strong they aren't cheap mind you. Some of the calcutta models are well equipped for salt too, the dc is especially good for casting lighter lures.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
The ryoga (not bay jigger as it doesn't have mags) is a nice saltwater baitcaster would be very suitable for kayaking and maintainence wise not overly complicated just solid, smooth and strong they aren't cheap mind you. Some of the calcutta models are well equipped for salt too, the dc is especially good for casting lighter lures.
He is not kayaking, he is fishing off the rocks!

G

·
Personally I use an abu revo and have no problems in saltwater, ignore the rubbish about saltwater proof reels . I have never seen a reel dissolve in saltwater, just keep it maintained and it will last.
If you have one in mind that you know is good in freshwater, it will work just as well in salt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had a couple of the abu max series and despite looking after them they suffered in the salt. I then got a shimano cardiff and it is a great reel, it encouraged me to buy a calcutta and I now have 3 which maybe a bit more money than you want to spend but the cardiff is a reasonable price. The bearings as very salt resistent, smooth drags and cast well.

If you are interested I think I may sell my cardiff 300.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I guess you,ve got the Savagegear travel rod
. A good reel to balance it is the Abu Revo Toro 50/51, HS with 6.4:1 gears would be best, as it gives a fast enough retrieve for ripping lures. It will hold about 250m of 40lbs BS braid. These are pretty hard to find New but there have been odd NIB ones on EBAY from Germany and Poland.
Harrissportsmail have just got the New Okuma 350 reels in stock which are pretty much the same size, but no real world reports of their fishing ability have been posted up yet on any of the forums I go on. There is a report on Tackletour forums on them but its just a pull apart , look and rebuild show and tell. They do look very nice though.
Smaller BC reels like the Abu Revo Inshore and Daiwa Zillion (can,t remember if its called coastal or Inshore, its the blue spool and bent blue handle one) might be OK if you don,t use them with more than 30lbs BS braid, just don,t hook a big fast runner at long range with them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As Strathy said. I have a savage gear travel rod and its quite powerfull so the small low profile reels that are designed for US bass fishing will tend to feel a bit underpowered on the rod.

Here is my rod on my last trip.

20140120_134256.jpg

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
As Strathy said. I have a savage gear travel rod and its quite powerfull so the small low profile reels that are designed for US bass fishing will tend to feel a bit underpowered on the rod.

Here is my rod on my last trip.

View attachment 196324
Maybe, but it is vital for anyone considering the baitcaster route to realise that the reel size and overall weight of the reel matters nowhere near as much as the spool weight, line weight and start up speed / flywheel effect of a crap, heavy spool.

I use a core 50mg for my topwater work, 1mm underfill, 1 brake ON. I can cast a spook along way on this setup from shore or sitting on the kayak. If I was to add that extra 1mm of line, the reel would blow up on 1 brake and I'd need to switch 2 ON. Now, despite the extra braking, my distance under 2 brakes is reduced considerably once that intital and extra 1mm topshot of line is gone.

I use quite a number of baitcasters in fact and for instance, my revos would blow everytime with that tune and same lure.

WHY?

Because, the spools are heavier, carry more line (heavier), flywheel affect once running, is greater.

Topwater lures, unlike jigs etc are as aerodynamic as a flat frog if you comparing to say, a 10g Texas worm weight in front of a 12g senko. The latter will fly on ALL of my bait-casters, but try it on a 5500 abu.

Will not work unless line level is massively reduced, you are using 60lb braid or, you have the mags, or brakes or oil so tight the damn thing won't cast anyway.

All a case of fine lines and I had a huge heads up by having years of experience tuning reels for tournament work.

However, once it's right, it's great and I recommend a 50 - 100 sized, lightweight spool baitcaster to anyone who wants the experience. The bigger reels might chuck 60g bling minnows and Carolina rigs great, but for sub 30g all up, buy wisely or buy twice.

And, baitcasters DO take in saltwater. The worm gear on the level wind is a direct Archimedes screw to feed the internals saltwater. It's sometimes just a case of a rinse, but DO IT, or regret it. I strip mine internally every 10 trips or so OR, if it's dunked, I drop the whole thing into a bucket of freshwater. These things ain't cheap and if you are using braid too, as we do on the VS's, we chuck them in too. Stops salt crystals forming in the braid.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Myfish. I think we are talking at cross purposes. I wouldn't argue with anything you have said. The point I was trying to make is that the savage gear rod is quite stiff and not the most pleasant thing to be throwing anything under a ounce. With heavier lures and the stiff rod it feels more matched to a reel with a bit more leverage on the retrieve that you get on a slightly bigger reel . There are of course exceptions with some small spooled reels that still have a high power retrieve but most of those are expensive and not mid priced.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Myfish. I think we are talking at cross purposes. I wouldn't argue with anything you have said. The point I was trying to make is that the savage gear rod is quite stiff and not the most pleasant thing to be throwing anything under a ounce. With heavier lures and the stiff rod it feels more matched to a reel with a bit more leverage on the retrieve that you get on a slightly bigger reel . There are of course exceptions with some small spooled reels that still have a high power retrieve but most of those are expensive and not mid priced.
I spent 2 days with a mate trying to find the best BC reel to go with his Savagegear travel rod. Tried everything from a Curado 51E, 201E, 301E, Revo Premier gen2, STX gen2, Inshore gen1 and 2, Winch, and both Toro 51 and 61 both early 6pin brakes and the upgrade pitch and cast brakes.
After a lot of birdies and other hassel we came to the conclusion that the best reel for the rod was the Upgrade Toro 51 with the pitch and cast brakes. It gave the best results for distance and controlability for the lures that the rod felt right with which was between 35g and 85g.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts