World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Fished Samphire Hoe for the first time this afternoon, except for the rain, a good days fishing.

Caught 3 Ballan Wrasse, 1 Haddock, 1 Gar, 1 Mack.

A bit snaggy, but well worth it.

One thing annoyed me, a couple of "non english speaking" people caught a number of fish mainly ballans and they were less than a size of a cassete tape and they were all dead in the bucket. Wouldn't even fill a sparrow with that meat.

Other than that, a great day

V

·
0 Posts
i know how you feel about the undersized fish,mentioned it in a previous post,who on earth eats wrasse anyway?(apart from the fork stabbing french)
went fishing myself today(mon)quiet beach,no jet skies(not knocknig jet skiers,would love to have a go myself,just a case of right place right time!)caught a few small schoolies(went back,as opposed to the local chineese takeaway)1 small starry smut,1 com/smut around 3 lb,5.17 h/w.all on rag and a pair of carp rods,great fun!! :D :D :D

THE SEA IS MY CHURCH THIS WHERE I HEAL MY HURT THIS IS MY CHURCH

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi mate,

Was down there, just having a look about on Sunday... wanting to have a go there in the near future.

Whereabouts did you fish? I've read somewhere that there are some "less snaggy" pegs around no. 50? I've also read that long-casting can be the key to not losing too much gear.. was this the case when you were there?

Did you use a float, or just fish the bottom?

I know, I know.... all these questions, and only my first post!! Sorry.

Hello all, btw, I live in Maidstone, but fish mainly in the Dover, Deal, Folkestone area. :D

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right all, i'll try and answer all questions, sorry if I miss any.

beefcake - Caught the wrasse on crab and ragworm, but found that they absolutely loved the rag, I can say a bite a cast.

I was fishing literally just at the bottom of the footpath, maybe a few yards left of it (The Dover side). Was casting approx 10 to 20 yards out, sometimes dropping just in front of the wall.

viper525 - Good day for you I see, I am still to bag one of those smut things, where were they from, what rig, bait, distance ladi da?????

new boy - I have heard that there are less snaggy points, the dover side is, to figure out the pegs phased me, but where i was fishing wasn't too bad, only lost 2 rigs. The other week I lost 3 on the Admiralty. I didn't try any long casting as I didn't see the point as I was after a fun fishing day as apposed to aiming for something, might try it next time.

I used my bass rod (Storm tempest £10 on ebay, cheap, but love it) to do a bit of mackerel spinning and also float fished. Great sight as soon as the float hit the water, a black long shadow was hanging around it and then BANG, you know the rest.

As you live in Maidstone, do you know any good marks on the Medway for Sole, I have heard that there is, but it seams that you have to torture them before they will tell you.

Anyway, I think that is all.......Tight lines

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the replies chaps ...

GT, as for sole marks on the Medway.. well, you'd have to torture me first... LOL :D

Just joking; I'm Deal born and bred, only been in Maidstone for 6-7 years, and I tend to stick to what I know, so mostly if I'm after sole, it's Hythe, Deal Coastguard Station area or Dungie/Dengemarsh.

I've had a look at some of the Medway marks, like the City Estate, but tbh, there's always been somewhere else calling and I've not made it so far.

As for Samphire, I read here: Blue Circle Fishing Site , that it's the 50-60 area that's the least snaggy, which from memory is about where you described, or perhaps slightly closer to Dover. I guess they're talking about the small black numbers, that don't have any letters included.

If you do hear of those sole marks .....

Cheers,
JB. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
beefcake said:
how long was your float rig and what did you catch by the wall?
beefcake
The float rig was quite short, about 15 cm of line under the float with a size 6 hook and a strip of mackerel.

Caught Wrasse on a drop and the haddock.

Thinking of doing some mullett fishing this weekend, any tips...................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts