World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished it saturday, ok fishing, lots and lots of wrasse. The bloke next to me caught a 2lb bass.

A few mackeral coming out, but not many.

Caught this but don't know what it is, blenny, goby or something??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Hi greenturnips - what time were you down there? My mate and I got there about 2pm last Sunday and fished through to about 6pm and caught nothing. Didn't really want to be there at high tide (about 3.30pm ) but it was the only time we could get away. A few guys who had been there earlier had caught a few wrasse and one coalfish but in the four hours we were there I only saw one Mackerel pulled out although there was quite a few people we passed as we made our way down towards the Dover end casting feathers. Decided to pack up and leave about 6.15 (closing time was 7.15 anyway and we were the last two on the wall) when the tide was a few hours into the ebb. Unfortunately the conditions were really starting to feel better for fishing then and in future if possible I personally would try to fish this venue a few hours into the ebb until just after low tide. What do you think?

By the way did you manage to work out the peg numbers?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lucky said:
Hi greenturnips - what time were you down there? My mate and I got there about 2pm last Sunday and fished through to about 6pm and caught nothing. Didn't really want to be there at high tide (about 3.30pm ) but it was the only time we could get away. A few guys who had been there earlier had caught a few wrasse and one coalfish but in the four hours we were there I only saw one Mackerel pulled out although there was quite a few people we passed as we made our way down towards the Dover end casting feathers. Decided to pack up and leave about 6.15 (closing time was 7.15 anyway and we were the last two on the wall) when the tide was a few hours into the ebb. Unfortunately the conditions were really starting to feel better for fishing then and in future if possible I personally would try to fish this venue a few hours into the ebb until just after low tide. What do you think?

By the way did you manage to work out the peg numbers?
I fished Saturday and started about 12 with high tide around 2.30, packed up at 2.45. I was literally a bite a cast, but it was getting a bit boring because all I seem to be getting was wrasse, better than nothing. I did see a few mack come out, but not at the quantities that I have seen at the Admiralty. The previous time I was here, the bites fizzled out at high tide, I generally don't fish much after high tide, I only get the green card for a few hours from the other half (She hates me fishing).

To answer the peg thing, no, If they don't physically put numbers down I'm to thick and lazy to work it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chaps,

I think the peg numbers are on the second step up - trouble is they're in black paint and quite faded. That's certainly the case for the Dover end - I've not fished the other direction yet. So, no need to work it out, they are there if you look carefully.

I think also that the other set that has a letter and a number should be ignored, everyone's talking about the purely numerical sequence as far as I can see.

I'll be going back there soon, enjoyed fishing there a lot.

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since when did weavers look like that

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you're very unlikely indeed to catch a weever at Samphire Hoe, they live on clean sandy bottoms, so not like the sea-bed there at all.

It is indeed a tom-pot blenney, which can always be verified cos they have two little horns on their head. Lovely little fish.

Always makes me a bit sad when I see Shannie, Blennies, Gobies and Scorpion Fish getting trodden on because people assume anything small and a bit spiney is a Weever. :rolleyes:

It's worth buying a fish identification book to help here, as I think there's lots of interesting mini-species to be admired and returned... I love 'em.

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
agree with you 100% there john boy, i love catching mini species and am happy to catch anything that swims

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It did indeed have two red eyebrows and a nasty pair of nashers.

The fish was lovely in the soup (only kidding), it was returned to fight another day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts