World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went down there yesterday, got there about 7am an set up, low water mark.
nice day sea was calm, had about 17 wrasse, 1 pollock, 1 goby, 2 blenny, a weaver an this fish an a few others i cant remember them properly :S no idea what it is, can someone please I.D it please :) it weighed about a pound an a half an gave a good little fight

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
A British record herring.

Unfortunately it's a shad (Think its a twaite?).....looks like a dark blemish behind the gill cover The allis and twaite shad also continue to be protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) in respect of section 9(1) so it is an offence to intentionally kill, injure or take specimens.

oooops!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okk thanks :) so are they spose to be in the sea as i read that they are in rivers an stuff, is there any more down there ? or was it a one off

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Several pop up each year - from the Addy, the Hoe, the South coast in general. Its a good sign that there are more of them about as it shows the water quality of our rivers is improving and the fish are able to breed successfully.

They are quite remarkable fish being anadromous (able to survive in sea and fresh water) and that is a very decent sized one.

There's no way of telling reliably whether its a Twaite or an Allis as mentioned, as you have to dissect the gills a bit and count the rakers.

Its always best to shake them off the hook if possible - I even caught one on the Addy once that I couldn't shake off and having caught one before and knowing that the scales come off in your hands which will ultimately kill them, put the fish back in - but as it was low-tide realised that this might kill the fish from the high drop and not having a net with me at the time (macky-bashing!), put the hook through the fish's tail-fin and lowered it gently down the wall then pulled sharply up - thus releasing the fish to fight another day with only a tear in its tail to show for it.

Then again, I've seen itenerant fisherman keeping them as they look like a good meal - but they have a double skeleton with twice the amount of bones which makes them hard going to enjoy - plus they aren't the tastiest fish in the sea it must be said - so always put them back!

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
You can target them at the outflow pipe at Dengemarch in mid - late summer over HW on a small spinner or even fly fish for them using a fry imitation.

As said though, handle with care....wet cloth and return quickly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Looks like you had a good session, with a few species and a rarity to boot.

Fisherman333 is right about the double skeleton. I bought one to eat from the fishmongers that used to be in Gravesend a few years ago(probably imported) and it was like trying to eat a pin cushion. Not worth it even if they were not protected.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I caught one last year and plumbed for a twaite, to claim an allis might
cause a riot as they appear to be more elusive :fishing:

Nice one for your species list :thumbs:

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can target them at the outflow pipe at Dengemarch in mid - late summer over HW on a small spinner or even fly fish for them using a fry imitation.

As said though, handle with care....wet cloth and return quickly.
Interesting ... Some years ago (about 20yrs) I was fly fishing (late summer) at Denge and caught a huge herring .... I wonder

Baza

·
Registered
322 Posts
:hammer::hammer::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:
went down there yesterday, got there about 7am an set up, low water mark.
nice day sea was calm, had about 17 wrasse, 1 pollock, 1 goby, 2 blenny, a weaver an this fish an a few others i cant remember them properly :S no idea what it is, can someone please I.D it please :) it weighed about a pound an a half an gave a good little fight
would love to say a baby tarpon:fish:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts