World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, going down to Dover at the end of June to fish Samphire ho, can anyone give me any details regarding methods, baits and likely species? I've heard its very snaggy.
Would be particularly interested to know if you get mackerel and/or congers from there, would like to try for my first conger, is it worth putting out a spare rod targetting these?

G

·
I reckon it might be a bit shallow for serious Conger,I prefer to float fish for Bass,Pollack and Wrasse.You're right about being snaggy,definately a rotten bottom place if you intend ledgering.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Float fishing sounds good.
A friend fished there recently and had some dogfish, will there still be any around by the end of June or do they clear off by then? Up here they have mostly gone by june

G

·
There seems to be a plague of Doggies along that stretch of the south coast at the moment,they have been there since January if not before.Not sure if they'll still be around in June though.

G

·
I should add that if you do try float fishing and have problems finding the fish,try dropping your bait tight against the wall!

Oh and don't forget your drop net!

·
Registered
155 Posts
In the summer there is often Mackerel there. You should take some heavy gear because you will get snagged up. But as far as I remember it's only open in the evenings on the weekend if you arrive 4-5ish(?) and leave your details with the warden. Someone else will tell you more. I think channel angling in dover run it or have some sort of link to the hoe.

G

·
It's open every day...tickets are available from the kiosk or the guy who comes round on his bike.You can night fish so long as you inform the ticket guy so he can let site security know!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i only fish with booms or a float there. i use a carp rod, booms, rotton bottom link and a spark plug.

as for bait ragworm works well and if you can get them i think live prawn and sandeel will be a killer.

if you get there at low water you can see the deeper holes underneath the wall. you can remember where they are and drop your baits into the deeper water.

you really need the clear water, especially for the gars and macky.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are loads of different tactics you can try at samphire, if you are after a good bass or pollack walk all the way to the dover end and float fish a sandeel or you can walk along the wall spinning a lure, generally the wrasse will come on rag worm about 20-40 yards out but i find there is no need to float fish for these. If you want you can blast a big lug/crab bait out there and there will be the possibility of a dogfish or 2.
The 1 problem with samphire is that it will only fish if it's calm, any kind of wind or swell and it's crap so if i were you i would check the forecasts before you go down otherwise risk wasting a day! if you get there and the conditions aren't ideal and it isn't fishing pack up and go to deal generally i find that if the conditions are wrong for samphire they are right for deal.
Good Luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi there,

there'll be loads of mackies soon and wall to wall mackie bashers! Wouldn't be surprised if they had been showing at the ho today. I know there's been a few Gars there this week.

I usually take any old bashed up weights and rigs along. I believe you have to pre-arrange night fishing there with Roy at Channel Angling in Dover.

Apart from that it's £1 (might have gone up to £2 not sure) all day parking and an adult fishing ticket is £4.

It's actually free to fish from the beach at the hoe as it's not owned by same people but it's difficult with people and dogs etc at times.

When I went in January one of my rods got yanked so hard two thirds of the rod got lifted off the ground, wondered if that was a big eel?? that was down the folkestone end. Got my biggest pollack there.

Last of all, there's a picture on the internet somewhere of the dover end at very low tide so you can see what the grounds like that end. haven't got a link im afraid. Anyway, have a great time, GF.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's great.

One more question:
On the above link it suggests that casting about 150 yards will avoid the snags. can anyone confirm if this is true? is this how far the rough ground extends, so if you can reach that distance you will be onto clean ground?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is this the link you mean?

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/diary/samphirehoe/samphire28thaug00.html

Quite good pictures of other venues on his site too..
Hiya ML, yes it is but i phrased it wrong sorry, that's the dover end and half way up to the dover end is where i caught the pollacks. the folkestone end is where i thought i might have had a big eel munch. That very end in the the photo is apparently good for flatties and sometimes the bass like the rocks to the cliff wall there too. Can't say the best spot cos otherwise it'll be gone when i get there LOL!xxxxxxxxxxxxx:fishing: (you probably know it anyway LOL.x)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts