World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one use these instead of a rod rest ? They look a bit more handy to cart about. Ive seen them in use and it does look a bit wierd with the rod sticking straight up in the air though

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have used one of these and they will beat and tripod on a beach. Most of the lads round here who fish the beaches all the time still use them.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yes - the beach has to be soft enough to be able to push one in (some have a foot-peg to help push down hard), but firm enough so the whole lot doesn't keel over when there is pressure on your line, from tide, weed etc.

O.k. on shingle, firm sand, medium-firm sand, "stiff" mud or "soft" clay

no good on "fluffy" sand, extremely hard-packed sand, hard clay or soft mud

·
Registered
244 Posts
yep i agree with Ravelling Tangler, but they are also easier to carry, along ith your rod, rather than humpin a great big tripod along, if you have to walk a canny distance

·
Registered
11,110 Posts
thats all we had years ago before tripods.

great if you know exactly where your fishing. no good if you decide to fish rocks instead.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I have one, it's handy when surf fishing for resting the rod on for rebaiting or unhooking without walking back to the beach. Not as versatile as a tripod, and there's nothing between them as far as transporting them goes, but still useful. :)

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Any one use these instead of a rod rest ? They look a bit more handy to cart about. Ive seen them in use and it does look a bit wierd with the rod sticking straight up in the air though
Hi terry d i use mined all the time for my bass and flattie bashing and you know where that its tight ines

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
hi terry i have one and it is good for my bass rod which is only 10 and a half foot, but i find my bigger rod(13ft6) falls over in it.if you are getting one for a longer beach rod i would try and finds one of the taller spikes.they have them in sfoot angling if you cant find anywhere- the tall and short ones
i only use mine on the beaches when bass fishing with my bass rod in the surf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts