World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Sand Spikes for the beach

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  tony taylor 
#1 ·
I usually use a Salt tripod for fishing, nice bit of kit, but, a bit fiddly to put up and take down, especially when fingers are numb :cold:

In the past, I always used 2 sand spikes, easy to put in and rods can be moved nearer the sea individually.
Now, it seems they are a rarity on the beach, (at least where I fish) with the vast majority using tripods.
Looking to order a couple of spikes and use them when I can.

I have seen what look like decent sand spikes on Veals site, and wonder whether anyone has used one and could comment on it.

The one I have seen is the Veals Pro 5' Single Sand Spike @ £14.67

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Tripods.html

Any comment appreciated, thanks

Neelix

#2 ·
Been thinking the same thing. When I started fishing as a lad on the Durham beaches everyone used sand spikes, tripods were only ever used on piers or rock edges. With the cod season almost upon us I was remembering my last trip to the aerials at Aldeburgh and the pleasure of humping my MTI tripod the three miles along the shingle. Similarly for Chesil. A couple of nice light sand spikes might do the job nicely, but I only ever used them on sand. Amyone used them on shingle and if so how stable are they conpared to a tripod?

#3 ·
Before tripods became universal, I imagine most of us used sand spikes. I used to find they worked better in shingle than in soft, wet sand (where they fall over). They hold the rod a little too vertical for my liking, so the rod catches the wind and wobbles about. If you intend to use one after dark, either paint it white or add some Mighty Brite - I walked into one in the dark one night at Dungeness and nearly ruined my marital prospects.

#5 ·
I blame that Ian Golds feller myself :bleh:

#6 ·
I have been using the Veals sand spikes and they are good.
I would say that they are too hard to push into really, really hard clay (or any other very close-packed beach), even with the foot step, and that pivot-out foot step and anti-tiwst brace would not be big enough to prevent them twisitng or falling over in very fluffy soft sand.

Having said that they'll handle anything else (from hard sand or shingle, pebbles and gravel through grass and peat to fairly soft mud) in any strength of wind.

I have added elasticated 'straps' ( a bit of bungee luggage rope) to the "U" bit at the top to reduce the risk of the rod being blown or pulled out of the rest. By using a big bead on the loop of strap, it is very easy to take off when picking up the rod.

#7 ·
i sell many more sand spikes than tripods easy to use and easy to move when you are chasing, or being chased by, the tide angle them either upwards or toward the sea the choice is yours i find it easier than trying to move two rods and a tripod at the same time
also you can space your rods futher apart , and if it does fall over its only one rod biting the dust not both of them , can also help with bite detection as it is easier to see which rod is moving

#8 ·
I have been using the Veals sand spikes and they are good.
I would say that they are too hard to push into really, really hard clay (or any other very close-packed beach), even with the foot step, and that pivot-out foot step and anti-tiwst brace would not be big enough to prevent them twisitng or falling over in very fluffy soft sand.

Having said that they'll handle anything else (from hard sand or shingle, pebbles and gravel through grass and peat to fairly soft mud) in any strength of wind.

I have added elasticated 'straps' ( a bit of bungee luggage rope) to the "U" bit at the top to reduce the risk of the rod being blown or pulled out of the rest. By using a big bead on the loop of strap, it is very easy to take off when picking up the rod.

Good idea with the bungee straps m8, gonna order a couple of the Veals spikes, then just wait for those lovely codlings, not too long now:laugh:

#9 ·
Good idea with the bungee straps m8, gonna order a couple of the Veals spikes, then just wait for those lovely codlings, not too long now:laugh:
Neelix why couldn't you have started this thread yesterday, I was sorting my kit out for the winter and I put a £30 order in to Veals for terminal tackle. Wish I'd added a couple of sand spikes to that as well now :hammer:

#10 ·
i sell many more sand spikes than tripods easy to use and easy to move when you are chasing, or being chased by, the tide angle them either upwards or toward the sea the choice is yours i find it easier than trying to move two rods and a tripod at the same time
also you can space your rods futher apart , and if it does fall over its only one rod biting the dust not both of them , can also help with bite detection as it is easier to see which rod is moving
Just thinking back to a session last February, moving the tripod together with 2 rods against a force 20 gale (well, it seemed like it:laugh:)
As you say, easy peasy to move one rod down or up at a time with spikes.

#12 ·
I got one off fleabay and it does the job fine. I don't think you can go wrong with them as they're just a spike with a step for your boot to shove it in and a couple of bits for the rod to rest on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CphbrxY5rz4

I can strap it to the bike along with a rod and off I go...

#13 ·
I currently use a sand-spike that was made for me by a mate. It's great. other than it'll only take smaller rods. It won't take my Bass rod (MTI) (butt too thick).

Does anyone know if the Veals versions will take a thicker based rod?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.