World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my yearly pilgramage to Dorset and the fishing was pants ! Surprised

After carefully selecting a few good plugs, half dozen useful rigs and the bass rod hopes were high. Leaving sunny cheshire behind us we hit the M6/M5 and as usual the rain clouds opened up at Birmingham. LOL

1st mark was Sandbanks beach, I had some nice bass here last year on the plugs off the end of a stone groine near the hotel. Setup with a big juicy mackeral fillet and cast out. 3minutes later the rod arches over and I'm grinning like the cheshire cat. Hmmm not much fight though... in fact... this feels like... bloody weed !

Cast after cast within minutes it was the same .. big clumps of weed and the light tackle struggling to cope. Oh well, I'll try float fishing... nope.. managed to catch all the floating weed in the area which was atttracted to my rigs like flys to .. something smelly.

Gave up early and returned to the family who were engrossed with events a little off the beach.... now for those who dont know sandbanks it's full of rich plonkers who like to cruise up and down in their shiny boats and occasionly anchor off the beach so all can admire at their toys. (tw**s)

This particular mariner had taken to swimming ashore at low water and forgetting that as the tide comes in the boat gets further and further away.

So there he was.. swimming for all he was worth against quite a strong cross tide and by the time he gets to the boat (a 20ft something rib) he hasn't got enough energy to pull himself over the stern. He then trys to recover his energy by dangling off the end of the boat in freezing cold water.... 15minutes later things are looking a tad serious and the coastguard are called.

One of the onlookers decided to help by swimming out to him.. as the crowd start shouting encouragement such as " dont do it" , " the tides to strong you idiot", "wait for the life boat".... obviously hearing this as "you hero, yes swim out and help" the 2nd person also gets to the boat knackered but manages to get himself into the rib.. but not enough strength to haul the boats owner in.

Now at this stage you'd have thought... lower the engine in the water and tow the guy back to shore (there was an inflatable ring behind the rib). Nope.. far to sensible.

The inshore lifeboat shortly arrived and plucked both our heros from the rib and sea.. followed shortly after by the rescue helicopter !! they must of been seething... all that for 2 muppets stuck 100yards off the beach !!

After bringing them back to the beach, a few choice words were exchanged along with some gentle advice by a really annoyed looking RNLI crew. The now somewhat larger crowd on the beach then took great delight at loudly telling the bloke what a sensible chap he had been .

No fish to report, next time I'll take the beachcaster and heavier tackle.. !

cheers
Bigsim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great story. I know exactly where you are coming from with the numptys with the big boats. Its because Sunseekers are made literally just round the corner from where you fished.

I fish sandbanks all the time. Next time you may want to try the Haven Hotel steps by the chain ferry. Theres a load of bass there and apparently best way of catching is trawling a artificial eel right by the ferry. I say apparently as I have tried on numerous occasions and blanked - byt I'm by no means an expert spinner/lure fisherman.

Weed gets better the further from the harbour entrance you go.

You might want to try hengitsbury head groyne next time, probably the best place around here for bass

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good read, thanks for reporting even though it was the blank. I'm off to Sandbanks in the next month. Was planning on taking this spinning rods but think beachcaster may be the better option

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great story. I know exactly where you are coming from with the numptys with the big boats. Its because Sunseekers are made literally just round the corner from where you fished.

I fish sandbanks all the time. Next time you may want to try the Haven Hotel steps by the chain ferry. Theres a load of bass there and apparently best way of catching is trawling a artificial eel right by the ferry. I say apparently as I have tried on numerous occasions and blanked - byt I'm by no means an expert spinner/lure fisherman.

Weed gets better the further from the harbour entrance you go.

You might want to try hengitsbury head groyne next time, probably the best place around here for bass
using the eel works all the way to the midway groin , are you casting uptide yea must keep in contact with lead at all times let it sink a little when casting then manual bailover , twich and reel dont trawl it and you cant fail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts