World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.hi lads ,ive posted this on blind dogs thread as well. it was great to meet everyone ,i had a great time despite the weather ! my weekend started off with me leaving late as usual ,arriving at tony and annes around 3 oclock. i cant thank them enough for the warm welcome and outstanding hospitality.
in fact ,annes cooking made the 300 odd mile round trip worth the journey itself.i would drive up there for my supper every night it was that good ! after arriving i headed out with tony to have a look around fraserburgh harbour and where folk werecatching mackies and coalies and saw one of the biggest sealsive ever seen.the fishing boats upthere are unbeleivable ,thats the first time ive seen them up close,it was great there are still big harbours that arent blighted with over zealous security and we were able to access the whole harboutr looking for likely looking fishing spots for the future.

we then headed back to tonys (after he showed me his secret conger spot ) for the best meal ive had all year.
annes speciality mushrooms baked in some kind of pastry for a starter were out of this world,followed by chicken and banana with a bacon wrap (by this time i felt like i was in a gourmet restaurant !) and then creme broullais (spelling ?) which was absolutely stunning ,left me feeling extremely well fed ! i hope tony doesnt mind pizza and beans when he comes down here !(my wife has promised to do some home made lasagne when he comes down),he is a very lucky man,anne is a fantastic cook and a lovely woman and i felt priveleged to spend the weekend with such a lovely family.i cant wait to return the favour when he comes down for the cod this winter.
we then popped down to meet with the happy campers and have a look at scotstoun beach.
it was a cracking evening ,hardly a breath of wind but a wee nipin the air (and several down gus,s neck !) i was sory i had to pass on the home made cider as i was driving,it tasted great ,a fair bit of talent there ratty horses !
when we left at just after 11 it looked like they would be having a good night ,there was even a fireworks display from the music festival a few miles away.

back at tonys we had the usual fishing blether into the early hours ,and when i went to bed the weather changed big time,galeforce winds and torrential rain,how glad was i wasnt camping !
in the morning anne made us a massive fry up before we headed out ,what a star ! that set me up well for the rest of the day ahead as half the time it was an effort just stay on our feet in the wind.
i was expecting to see a few dishevelled campers in the morning between the weather and vast amounts of alchoholthat were consumed ,but they are a hardy lot ,everyone was bright and chirpy and ready to fish.
we got lucky at the start and got a bit of fishing in before the flooding tide lifted the weed and made it impossible to put a line in the water for any time,i now have a complexion any model would be proud of ,so the next time your missus wants to spend a fortune on a facial ,just take her to scotstoun beach when the wind is over 30 mph,now i know why the women up there have such good looking skin !
there were certainly plenty fish there as i think everyone had fish from the off,its just a pity the weather stopped us getting into them properly.
im just goin to get my gear out the car just now ,along with the 10ton of sand thats in it.it was so bad ,when gus was showing me a rel he had to dig through 6 inches of sand to get it out his bag ! and i had to submerge a 6500 in the sea to rinse the sand out that was jammed in the spool as it wouldnt cast !
so ,the fishing was a write off,but it was a great trip due to meeting people from the forum and the fantastic hospitality of tony and anne,and i also got to meet young cameron ,a great wee lad who has been showing tony and lynchy how to fish recently !
big shout to lynchy as well,his expertise on the barbecue was something else ,first time ive had burgers that werent burnt or undercooked ,all done in a howling gale as well !
cheers rab

Attachments

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is looking to sandhaven on the sunday,god knows what it looks like in a nor easterly ,its a wee bit more exposed than the fife and angus marks !
cheers rab

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Rab
It was nice to meet you! albeit only breifly but it wasnt really a day for socializing! perhaps see you at next meet ! and perhaps pick your brains about a thing or two.
Off to regrease and reassemble reels!
P.s I embarressingly saw dire straits yrs ago and cant see the Mark Knoffler thing myself !
cheers Gary:cold:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
good report mate,the conditions look horrendous,well done on your fish.
At least you still enjoyed your trip north and thats what matters.

tight lines
wee jollys(dad)

·
Registered
31 Posts
You guys are a hardy lot i set the alarm to get up on sun morn took 1 look outside and went back to bed . Got bored about dinner time and went to scope out possible fishing spots at Portsoy along the coast from yous and was getting covered in sea froth at the top of a 60ft cliff good job it was an onshore wind, Some good looking marks to try out my new beachcaster n reel on just need a little less white tops.

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
was a privilege Rab,you are very welcome at any day bud.The fishing conditions wasn't great but the company was superb.
regards
tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts