World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am hoping to sell some sandeel scrapers or 'vinglers' that I have made, but as yet I am unsure of how much of a demand for them there would be, or at what price to charge.
I have also tried to import a picture or two here, but as a cyber-tecnophobe, it ain't worked. What a numpty!
Could anybody help.....please?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Would someone explain what a sandeel scraper is and if it is not self evident from the description, how ones uses one? Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
the capt him self asked me to put these piccy's on here for him, please contact him direct via PM to discuss.

i can say they are of good quality and will get you live eel for free.

Take advantage of the seasonal supply of free bait, and occupy your self during those quite periods.

for me live are the best bait there is for bass, a bubble float, long trace and lightly hooked eel are all you need, but hold on cos when you get one they go....

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
well what happens is..

you run the thing through the sand where you know sand eel to be occupying in a figure of eight pattern and when you feel the weight of one on the end pull up and hey presto you have an eel, or possiably a weaver so wear a glove!

for better discriptions search tin'ternet.

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
Gotcha,, never bothered with sandeels, got to put my hands up I thought it was some secret ritual to scrape the scales off or summat :blink: :blink: :blink:

:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

·
Registered
25,678 Posts
I purchased one of those small three pronged weed tines from ALDI for 99pence.
As it has an 18 inch handle and 4 inch tines its brill for sand eel finding and also pulling out a few cockles.

I doubt you can even price anywhere near that .

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hate to put the dampeners on things but I think you need to slightly modify your design.

I think the hook is a little too extreme - it doesn't really need to go much beyond 90 degrees to the shaft, or it will cause damage to too many eels. All but the smallest eels are likely to get stabbed by the point when you pull them up through the sand - causing the guts to spill out and a quick death!

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I purchased one of those small three pronged weed tines from ALDI for 99pence.
As it has an 18 inch handle and 4 inch tines its brill for sand eel finding and also pulling out a few cockles.

I doubt you can even price anywhere near that .
i cant compete with that price my eel catching gear cost me £800
BUT it does catch 1000's at a time :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hate to put the dampeners on things but I think you need to slightly modify your design.

I think the hook is a little too extreme - it doesn't really need to go much beyond 90 degrees to the shaft, or it will cause damage to too many eels. All but the smallest eels are likely to get stabbed by the point when you pull them up through the sand - causing the guts to spill out and a quick death!
your right there mate,i got taught by my grandad how to make em out of an old bread knife,with like you said a 90 degree hook ,

·
Registered
25,678 Posts
i cant compete with that price my eel catching gear cost me £800
BUT it does catch 1000's at a time :clap2: :clap2:
:secret: Watcha got ......a gold plated one with 1000 tines ?:unsure:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts