World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How mush water per sandeel do they need to stay alive i am fitting a bait tank to my boat andhave a decent pump lined up to keep the water oxygenated but was wondering what size tank to use my boat is 16' so it cant be to big.
Cheers guys Scott:kissing:

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
It is more to do with oxygen than physical volume of water. The tank can be small (mine is only 12"x18"x18") but if the pump is constantly refeshing the water with a good flow of fresh seawater they will stay fit for a day trip. If you have to switch the pump off, then they will need a much bigger tank. If they are too crowded they will get stressed and die, and I am told that a circular tank is better than square so they dont wedge up in corners and make things worse.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
My tank is about 50 litres, circular blue plastic drum that I can take off the boat if I am not fishing live eel or joey mack. I have a Rule 360 bilge pump on a 6 foot hose that goes overboard to pump fresh water into the tank, the outlet is a sink plug hole fitting about 4 inches below the tank's rim which overflows onto the self draining deck. The water is pumped through a pipe fixed around the rim of the tank with holes drilled in it to spray the water onto the surface of the tank to add a bit of oxygen to the fresh water.

The colour of the tank is important to me as I have noticed that if they are kept in a blue one the blue irredescent line down their flanks really sparkles. Kept in white, or yellow and the line dulls. I keep my eels in Yellow 1000 litre tanks at home and as soon as I put them on the boat tank that bit of blue really shines. They also seem placid when kept in yellow tanks and far more active in the blue one.

I can keep 200 launce / eels or a dozen joey mack in this size tank quite hapily all day and they come out fighting fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts